Rear window trim

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
PTR200Jag
Posts:549
Joined:Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Location:Lancashire
Rear window trim

Postby PTR200Jag » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Whilst giving the car a good clean down after sorting out underneath the rear arches (dust gets everywhere) I noticed the rear side window trim has lifted up off the window frame / glass.
I pushed it back and it partially clipped in but not properly.

Can someone tell me, perhaps, if it can be pulled off carefully somehow so that I may find out whats gone wrong.
I didn't want to pull on it in case it was fastened someway although I do suspect it is just retained with clips?
If it is clipped do they break on removal?
XK8 MY2002

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Rear window trim

Postby mike020150 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:11 am

The rear 1/4 window trim 'hoop' is held in position by clips plus a small quantity of sealant at the end beneath the joining piece with the front trim section. The whole thing is removed by peeling back the door seal for better access and then removing the gutter trim before taking off the window trim itself. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
PTR200Jag
Posts:549
Joined:Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Location:Lancashire

Re: Rear window trim

Postby PTR200Jag » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Brilliant, thanks for that, good job I didn't pull it too hard with the sealant holding on to it!

Not sure why the trim is holding off the window at the bottom, but I suspect that one of the clips has let go, broken, rusted, whatever...

Do these trims seal against any water ingress at all?, should there be a bead of sealant along the edge to the window?
XK8 MY2002

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Rear window trim

Postby mike020150 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:49 pm

No, there wasn't any sealant between the trim and the window. the trims are purely cosmetic. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest