Page 1 of 1

gob smacked!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm
by jonc3725
I am an XJS owner and not an XK8 owner but just had to visit the XK8 bulletin board.
A colleague of mine owns a 98 XK8 and I was absolutely floored when he told me he had to weld his floor pan at the front end of the passenger side floor as it failed MOT!!!! :shock:

The corrosion point was in exactly the same place as XJS's at the front end of the floor pans (yep I know they share floor pans) which I found unbelievable as this area must have been known to Jaguar not 20 years earlier.
I am lucky enough to own a Japanese sports car and when I recently changed for a newer more powerful version I was considering an XK8 of the same price (£11-£13K) but stuck with the Toyota because of the reliability and clean metalwork. Now seeing the corrosion on my mates car I am so glad I did.

All Older XK8 owners check your floor pans and other areas that are shared with the XJS as there is likely to be rust lurking somewhere if the car has not had the best service history :(

Re: gob smacked!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:20 pm
by Nik

All Older XK8 owners check your floor pans and other areas that are shared with the XJS as there is likely to be rust lurking somewhere if the car has not had the best service history :(
Hi ,
Yes it is a very well known spot for rust on XK's , but I don't think that regular servicing even by a Jaguar main agent would have any bearing on the problem ,
they go rusty because Jaguar in their infinite wisdom left a water/mudtrap exposed without any underbody protection to speak of :!:

I've previously owned several Japanese sports cars (four Mk1 Celica's including a twincam ,Honda Prelude VTEC , Gallant VR4 etc ) and they were pretty well 100% reliable and fairly non-rusting ,
but ......................... no character or soul and generally not very pretty when compared to a Jaguar ,

Regards ,

Nik