Wiper replacements

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

BestGear
Posts:78
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 pm
Wiper replacements

Postby BestGear » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:22 am

Hi Folks

Has anyone fitted these (or similar) to their cars?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XK8-XKR-Re ... 286.c0.m14

Thoughts?

David

bobwnm
Posts:33
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm
Location:Tyne & Wear

Postby bobwnm » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:45 am

Hi David,
I fitted them to my convertible and have done a few hundred miles in the wet with no problems, they do seem good quality and well made. They look neat on the car and seem to keep a lower profile than standard wipers, but I still carry the old ones in the boot - -just in case!!!

all the best

Bob

MyQuest

Member
Posts:141
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am
Location:Amesbury UK

Flat profile wiper blades.

Postby MyQuest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 pm

I too, was interested in these blades - until I checked the guy's Ebay feedback.....

Bob, perhaps you can advise how they fare over the winter.

Michael

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 pm

I've had my retro wipers fitted for 2yrs and have no complaints as they are a vast improvement over stock (and look better...more modern too)

Myquest, I think it's a bit unfair to cast doubt on an ebay seller with a 99% feedback on almost 58k feedback postings. Personally I think that's exceptionally good given the volume :)

Mark

MyQuest

Member
Posts:141
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am
Location:Amesbury UK

Wipers

Postby MyQuest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:40 am

Mark.

Perhaps you're right about being unfair - but I was implying that the most of his negative feedbacks pertained to flat wipers.
It's reassuring to hear that you find them O.K.

Michael

BestGear
Posts:78
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Postby BestGear » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks for the views chaps.

I guess the next question is - how well do Bosch replacement wiper blades fit the factory arms and screen wash fitments?

Bosch as a brand never dissapoints...but I dont want any crappy fitting and tywraps to hold the washers on!

David

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 am

More due to local availability than for any deeper reason, I happen to have fitted Bosch blades to my car. They fit and work OK. To replicate Jaguar's fitments, for the driver's side blade make sure you buy the Bosch version with an aerofoil. Mike.

DoctorHoux
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:09 pm
Location:Janines, or The Tertre Rouge Bar
Contact:

Postby DoctorHoux » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

I fitted low-profile blades from an ebay seller and they're absolutely fine. The view down the bonnet is improved slightly too, but those damned arms still stick too far into the air.

So for me, the real holy grail is not the wiper blades, but improving the way the wiper ARMS are fitted. Does anybody know where to get low-profile arms that allow a better view down that lovely bonnet?

Or is it worth bending them to a different shape with the help of my trusty vice and some diy enthusiasm in my garage? :shock: Has anybody tried this?
You can have the keys to my Jaguar...when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:44 pm

It would be interesting to learn how you get on using your trusty vice. It's not something anyone else has mentioned on the BB. Mike. :)

MyQuest

Member
Posts:141
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am
Location:Amesbury UK

Wiper blades

Postby MyQuest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:57 am

I recently bought Bosch blades; they work fine and are simple to fit.

However, I do NOT have the aerofoil type fitted, as I try not to get the Old Girl wet(!) and whatever make I've used in the past seem to stick to the screen at reasonably fast speeds without one. It also helps the over-bonnet view.

An added bonus being a trimmed length of the old wiper rubber slid nicely into the short rear wiper blade of my day car.

I paid £20 (cash - ahem...) for 3 X 21" and 1 X 16" Bosch blades (2 for the XK8 and 2 for my day car), so compared to Jaguar's silly prices, this seemed a snip.

Michael

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Fri May 29, 2009 11:26 am

Valeo has now launched a set of low profile wipers for the XK8, and since they are responsible for so much of our cars original kit (inc wipers) sceptics won't have a problem fitting them.

These perform even better than my first pair and have a wear indicator to tell you when to change them!

Known as the VALEO SILENCIO X-TRM you can find them locally or on Ebay, however I would suggest shopping around as you can pay anything between £22-35 a pair.

Regards

Mark


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests