Floor pan rust

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Peter667
Posts:9
Joined:Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 pm
Floor pan rust

Postby Peter667 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:53 pm

Taking advice from an Jag expert, I've just dug through the underseal on the apparently notorious front floor pan reinforcing panels to find a couple of 2" holes rotted through to the inside ('98 model). It's a poor production fault to fit this double skin metalwork with no preparation. If the dealers knew about it a shot of Waxoil at every service would have prevented this. The rest of the bodywork looks fine.

There's no comeback under the perforation warrnty being only six years. As it's non-structural and localized I'm inclined to cut it out and bond an alloy plate over it (when it stops raining!) Welding would involve stripping the carpets, etc

Any comments on costs or techniques for a proper repair?

Peter H

User avatar
Bassman
Posts:85
Joined:Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location:Addlestone, Surrey & Kerleit, Finistere

Postby Bassman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:56 am

Had mine done both sides last August by Arun, new plates welded in and undersealed for the princley sum of £150 :wink:
Paul
[b]1998 XK8 Antigua Blue[/b]

Peter667
Posts:9
Joined:Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Postby Peter667 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:57 pm

Paul,

Thanks, for that kind of money I'll let the experts fix it. I've also just had a price of £250 which is still better than me crawling under it with filler.

Now I've just got to look for the other rust spots they mentioned...!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests