I have just notice that there is vertical movement of about 1/8 of an inch between the top face of the bumper and the body work. Checking other XK8's and 'R's it appears that this movement is not present. It is difficult to see how the bumper is attached to the body and I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if so is it easy to fix and can it be done without a ramp?
Thanks
Loose Rear Plastic Moulded Bumper
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Hi JHB, welcome to the forum and Bulletin Board.
I have not experienced the problem you describe on my own car but have heard of people who do.
It seems the bumper fixing is likely to be the problem since it mixes mild steel and aluminium components which corrode badly, the bumper seems to sag and eventually drops.
I suggest you either have a good look at the bumper fixing yourself or get a garage to do that. I know it sounds a bit drastic and I don't want to unduly worry you but I would have it checked anyway.
Let us know how you get on.
Karl
I have not experienced the problem you describe on my own car but have heard of people who do.
It seems the bumper fixing is likely to be the problem since it mixes mild steel and aluminium components which corrode badly, the bumper seems to sag and eventually drops.
I suggest you either have a good look at the bumper fixing yourself or get a garage to do that. I know it sounds a bit drastic and I don't want to unduly worry you but I would have it checked anyway.
Let us know how you get on.
Karl
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Thanks for the advice Karl. I have checked out other XK8's and mine certainly has a loose rear bumper. I have had 3 independant examinations and they all think it could be a broken fibre glass bracket that is part of the bumper fixing. The problem is you can't see very much at the back of the bumper even with the car on a ramp and the bumper needs to be removed before the source of the problem can be identified; so it looks as though I am going to have to have it fixed by the local Jaguar agent which may not be for a couple of weeks as I am off to the Le Mans Classic tomorrow! All the 3 people that have looked at it have assured me it won't fall off whilst I'm away, so we will have to see if they are right. If it is as they say and it is a fibre glass bracket then I don't think that it is suitable fixing and a radicle redesign is called for.
Thanks for your interest.
Kind regards
John
Thanks for your interest.
Kind regards
John
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
XK rear bumpers certainly do suffer exactly as Karl says. However, apart from the issue of mixing metals on the main brackets which can lead to corrosion, there are also a couple of minor metal 'struts' held by rivets. If the bumper has been given a small nudge it's possible to to damage these rivets and cause some flexing of the bumper lower edge at the rear. To repair such damage, the bumper comes off quite easily providing it's not corroded. Then, the rivets can be spread/replaced as appropriate. Similarly, the side fixings are very flimsy and don't withstand knocks well. In fact, it's difficult to describe it as a bumper but that's the price of style and components designed to absorb energy by collapsing! Mike.
Hi Mike!
Many thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I have spoken to many people on the subject, and together with your and other Forum replies, I think I now understand the problem and have managed to have a reasonably well informed discussion with the local Jaguar man with whom I have booked the car in with to have it fixed. Another problem which may, or may not, have been part of the bumper scenerio, is that one of the rear reversing sensors needs to be replaced which does require the removal of the bumper and setting up through the onboard computer!!!!! ........ or so they tell me, and for that reason I decide they could do the 2 jobs!
Many thanks again for taking the trouble to reply, kind regards,
John
Many thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I have spoken to many people on the subject, and together with your and other Forum replies, I think I now understand the problem and have managed to have a reasonably well informed discussion with the local Jaguar man with whom I have booked the car in with to have it fixed. Another problem which may, or may not, have been part of the bumper scenerio, is that one of the rear reversing sensors needs to be replaced which does require the removal of the bumper and setting up through the onboard computer!!!!! ........ or so they tell me, and for that reason I decide they could do the 2 jobs!
Many thanks again for taking the trouble to reply, kind regards,
John
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest