Page 1 of 1
Hood care
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:40 am
by Steve
Hi All. Does anyone have any advice/experience in keeping hoods clean? I have a soft top with a tan canvas hood and am reluctant to use much in the way of cleaners on it or to try scrubbing it. Unfortunately after a week or three it does start to show the dirt and the handbook doesn't seem to help much (or I haven't found the right bit yet).
The car still looks great even with a grubby hood
Steve
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:53 am
by Scottish-Exile
I've always just scrubbed it with soapy water and given it a good rinse afterwards. My car is just over a year old and I don't feel the need to use expensive conditioners on it yet. My roof is green, so I suppose I get away with more than a light colour like yours.
Most of the guys over on XKEC use Autoglym roof restorer, Shampoo and Conditioner.
Jaguar sell thier own equivalent, which is probably Autoglym but under their own brand.
The JDHT were selling this at bargain prices recently. Their web site seems to be down this morning so I can't check.
http://www.jdht.com/index_intro.html
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 pm
by mike020150
I've used the Jaguar product on a black hood and it came up well. It looked brand new. Having written that, I don't know how often hoods should be given the full clean and re-proofing treatment to keep them at their optimum. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:28 pm
by mickmoor1
Hi all I have an xk covertable with a blue roof and recently got a genuine jaguar cleaning and reproofing kit off ebay for abt £25.00, they are still available on ebay, parts and accsesories part No 250002060191 do a search and look its about half jaguar dealers prices just waiting for another nice weekend to clean and reproof mine
all the best Mick
hood care
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:20 pm
by Steve
Thanks for all those inputs. I'll track one down and let you know the results
Hood care
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 pm
by Steve
Well, I found a hood care kit at my local Jaguar dealers. They happen also to be a Lotus dealer and the hood care kit is the same for both cars - the AutoGlym set. The same that is except for the price - the Lotus badged kit is £26, about a quarter of the price charged by Jaguar. I assume that is what is available on e-Bay.
It worked pretty well, the grubby spots have vanished. I do now have some new watermarks in the tan hood so will have to have another go to get rid of them.
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 pm
by mickmoor1
hello steve
Just attended the J E C rally at Harewood, and guess what in the main marqee was barretts a jag suppliers and they were selling the reproofing kits same as the one i got from ebay, wait for it £5.00 yes £5 i could not believe it so i ask if the price was right , yes it as so i got one for a spare , they say they sell it for that price all the while???
what a bargain
mick