Tinworm
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
My 97 XK8 is starting to show signs of age now, in particular both rear wheel arches at the rear where they are constantly receiving stone chips are corroding - does anyone know of any suitable discreet edge protectors for this area. Also the very front corner of the bonnet is showing small bubbles which look like rot coming right through the panel! On the inside rust can be seen around the seam where the outer skin laps over the frame. I don't know why this area should be prone to rust it does not seem to be particularly exposed to the elements but I would suggest applying plenty of waxoyl to these areas.
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Re: Tinworm
My 97 XK8 is starting to show signs of age now, in particular both rear wheel arches at the rear where they are constantly receiving stone chips are corroding - does anyone know of any suitable discreet edge protectors for this area. Also the very front corner of the bonnet is showing small bubbles which look like rot coming right through the panel! On the inside rust can be seen around the seam where the outer skin laps over the frame. I don't know why this area should be prone to rust it does not seem to be particularly exposed to the elements but I would suggest applying plenty of waxoyl to these areas.
Hi cheetah9 and welcome to the forum.
Like Peter Dyer, my 2000MY XK8 is also fitted with the XKR-type rubber rear wheel arch extenters and front and rear mudflaps. They seem to protect the paintwork pretty well from stone chips.
The notorious 'trap' in front of the rear wheels is a different matter. I have heard of people filling this 'channel' with sealant. I personally just make sure I wash it out as best I can everytime I wash the car (which seems to be quite often being a daily user of the cat - what hardship
)
Hi cheetah9 and welcome to the forum.
Like Peter Dyer, my 2000MY XK8 is also fitted with the XKR-type rubber rear wheel arch extenters and front and rear mudflaps. They seem to protect the paintwork pretty well from stone chips.
The notorious 'trap' in front of the rear wheels is a different matter. I have heard of people filling this 'channel' with sealant. I personally just make sure I wash it out as best I can everytime I wash the car (which seems to be quite often being a daily user of the cat - what hardship
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Guys
WHen I bought my 98MY XK8 last year I assumed that they all came with mudflaps, it's only since meeting other owners that this was not so. I also have small wind deflectors in front of the front wheels, which I haven't seen on any other XK. So although I get stone chips on the bonnet, nose cone and even the roof
I don't get anything along the sides or undersides. Shame they don't stop Tesco rash from inconsiderate 4x4's et al 
WHen I bought my 98MY XK8 last year I assumed that they all came with mudflaps, it's only since meeting other owners that this was not so. I also have small wind deflectors in front of the front wheels, which I haven't seen on any other XK. So although I get stone chips on the bonnet, nose cone and even the roof
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Hi Guys
. . . . I also have small wind deflectors in front of the front wheels, which I haven't seen on any other XK. So although I get stone chips on the bonnet, nose cone and even the roof
I don't get anything along the sides or undersides. Shame they don't stop Tesco rash from inconsiderate 4x4's et al 
I didn't notice those when I last saw your car - or on any other car BTW. Must have a look at it next time I see you (7 May, I guess). Does that mean you also get an extra few miles out of a gallon (or litre) from your car
I agree with you about Tesco (or Sainsbury, Waitrose, M&S, etc) rash.
. . . . I also have small wind deflectors in front of the front wheels, which I haven't seen on any other XK. So although I get stone chips on the bonnet, nose cone and even the roof
I didn't notice those when I last saw your car - or on any other car BTW. Must have a look at it next time I see you (7 May, I guess). Does that mean you also get an extra few miles out of a gallon (or litre) from your car
I agree with you about Tesco (or Sainsbury, Waitrose, M&S, etc) rash.
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
I'll certainly be fitting the XKR edge protectors, of course this allows you to put plenty of waxoyl in the back of them as well, obviously stone chips at the rear would be even more of a problem with the 9" wheels but they seem like a great idea anyway, thanks for your help. I'm not quite sure whether I can cope with mudflaps aesthetically although they make a huge amount of sense protection wise, I'll have to think about that one.
Karl, the wind deflectors aren't that obvious unless you really look. I only noticed that mine was the only XK fitted with them at my first XKEC meet when none of the cars had them
Don't know about how much difference they make ref fuel consumption, but coming back from Somerset I was averaging 28mpg which wasn't bad considering the "speed" we were going
Cheetah9, you should try it with 10" wheels on the back, then you definately need the XKR protectors. Hopefully I'll find out soon when I get some 20" Sepangs
Cheetah9, you should try it with 10" wheels on the back, then you definately need the XKR protectors. Hopefully I'll find out soon when I get some 20" Sepangs
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
I had the front deflectors on my '97 model but they soon got worn/knocked off by the small step up from my drive into the garage! Later cars have different plastic mouldings underneath the nose/ front wheel arch area. Mike.
Know what you mean Mike, knocked the drivers side off by going up a curb, they're not as flexible as the mud flaps. But they are quite cheap and easy to fit, two things not usually associated with an XK
Know what you mean Mike, knocked the drivers side off by going up a curb, they're not as flexible as the mud flaps. But they are quite cheap and easy to fit, two things not usually associated with an XK
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests