Today the n/s/r quarter window failed to come up when I closed the roof on my 2007 XKR. I have taken the rear seats and trims off and can see that the operating cable is off the pulley. Obviously the next job is to remove the regulator.
Questions; can this be fixed, bearing in mind I cannot see exactly why the cable has come off, what may have caused it and bearing in mind the time to do the job, is it better to replace the regulator with a new one?
I bought the car last October at a documented 36,000 miles having wanted one since I first saw the original XK8, driving home I noticed that the n/s/r speaker was distorted...so at least I can kill two birds so to speak.
...and I love the car!
Rear Quarter Window Failure
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
andrewfl370

- Posts:6
- Joined:Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:35 pm
Re: Rear Quarter Window Failure
Ok, bit of an update. The rear quarter window and regulator is out of the car, fairly straightforward but the window must be in the up position otherwise the regulator is too wide to get through the gap. To do this the cable attachment must be disconnected from the regulator if the window is not fully up and cannot be moved.
The cable has come off the top and bottom pulleys and has wrapped itself around the motor. I have noticed black marks on the glass where the seal meets the window and wonder if the rubber has stuck to the glass so that when the window is lowered, it sticks initially and then releases, somehow the cable jumps the pulley(s) and at that point that the glass releases from the seal. Rather like wider blades getting stuck to the windscreen in hot weather...just a thought.
I have found a repair kit on eBay for less than £11, better than nearly £300 when there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the regulator.
The cable has come off the top and bottom pulleys and has wrapped itself around the motor. I have noticed black marks on the glass where the seal meets the window and wonder if the rubber has stuck to the glass so that when the window is lowered, it sticks initially and then releases, somehow the cable jumps the pulley(s) and at that point that the glass releases from the seal. Rather like wider blades getting stuck to the windscreen in hot weather...just a thought.
I have found a repair kit on eBay for less than £11, better than nearly £300 when there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the regulator.
Re: Rear Quarter Window Failure
If you manage the repair post some pics or do a write up for the magazine if possible, I am sure it's only a matter of time before one of us has the same problem!
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Rear Quarter Window Failure
Hi Andrew, this does sound like an interesting piece of Modern XK problem solving that would assist and inform our members. A few photos and a small write-up is all I would need to get the bones of an article pulled together for the magazine column. You will find my Modern XK email address at the top of the page for our cars in the JE magazine.
Input appreciated.
Jim Mann
Input appreciated.
Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
-
andrewfl370

- Posts:6
- Joined:Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:35 pm
Re: Rear Quarter Window Failure
Hi Andy and Jim, more than happy to.
It has been a bit of a full on week as I'm getting married today and wanted to use the car so getting it fixed was a priority. I am happy to report that the window regulator went back in yesterday afternoon and it works as it should.
Believe it or not it is not actually a difficult job, just time consuming.
Andrew
It has been a bit of a full on week as I'm getting married today and wanted to use the car so getting it fixed was a priority. I am happy to report that the window regulator went back in yesterday afternoon and it works as it should.
Believe it or not it is not actually a difficult job, just time consuming.
Andrew
Re: Rear Quarter Window Failure
Congratulations and enjoy - obviously a true enthusiast, looking at a Forum on his wedding day.
Jim
Jim
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests