Page 1 of 1

Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 pm
by doug424
Hello everybody,
In August 2014 I purchased a new genuine Jaguar car cover for my car. Since then the paint work on the car has become progressively damaged showing scuff marks where the cover comes in to contact with the car.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I shall post a few photos when I have worked out how to do so; our new computer running Windows 10 no longer has a photos resize function. I have started a new topic elsewhere.

Answers on a postcard please...

Doug Barrass,
Ashford, Kent.

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 pm
by doug424
As always in life, when one says one can't do something in a matter of moments one find out how to...

With luck, pictures attached.
Bodywork February 2016 (1) (Custom).JPG
Bodywork February 2016 (2) (Custom).JPG
Bodywork February 2016 (3) (Custom).JPG

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 pm
by PTR200Jag
Have to say having had this problem a LOT of years ago (!) I would NEVER, EVER use a car cover again, outside.

Can you clean off the area and try a mild cutting compound???

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:50 pm
by J44EAG
That should all repair by gently wet flatting the top clear coat with P1200 wet and dry production paper and a bucket warm water and a few drops of washing-up liquid. Tear a sheet of W&D paper down the middle length wise then take one of the resulting long strips and fold so you have effectively four areas of paper to use. Open in up and refold so you are left with two working surfaces with the other two folded inside the four section wadge. That should fit in the palm of your hand. Use untill the two outer surfaces wear out then refold to expose the other two unworn surfaces,

Use the flat palm of your hand and NOT your fingers which would put tram lines in the paint surface. Just flat out the damage and gently buff up with fine rubbing compound. If you break through the surface to the colour coat, don`t panic. Go to Halfords and but a spray can of clear coat. Clean off the surface to be painted, spray on three coats of clear coat, let harden and with P1200 W&D, flat down the middle and dust edges of the paint to blend in. Then polish up again with fine rubbing compound to a fine lustra.

Mike K

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 pm
by Brakebuster
personally

i would get the car mopped all over resulting in a new looking car, and then throw away the car cover

i actually use a car cover , but i have a softer inside dust cover under that as well ,

it shows more on darker cars

BB

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 pm
by PTR200Jag
personally

i would get the car mopped all over resulting in a new looking car, and then throw away the car cover

i actually use a car cover , but i have a softer inside dust cover under that as well ,

it shows more on darker cars

BB
Yep, definitely needs a softer approach, initially, to see if the paint surface will clean up rather than attacking it with a full on paint renovation job :lol:

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:52 am
by ianoliver57
If it's a genuine Jaguar cover for the correct car, I'd send pics of the damage to Jaguar and kick up hell. Tell them they need to fund a full respray. Become Mr Angry. If you don't ask, you don't get. And you've nothing to lose!

Regards

Ian.

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm
by doug424
Hello everybody,

I am pleased to say that the situation with the faulty car cover has been amicably resolved.

I have returned the cover and received a full refund and the car has been professionally polished free of charge at the main dealer workshop in Canterbury. I have attached a few photos of the car as it is now.

After raising the issue with the main dealer I was asked to bring the car to the dealership for it to be looked at. Whilst there, three employees of the dealership looked at the car and within moments said the damage was caused by the cover and a repair was in order.

A few days later I took the car to the body shop to have a panel test polished to see if that would rectify the damage. Afterwards, I was told to keep an eye on the test panel looking for a return of the white discolouration or white pin spots, either of which would mean that polishing would not work a complete respray was the only course of action. During the trial visit to the body shop I also was told not to use a cover of any kind that touched the car as these can trap moisture against the body causing discolouration.

I am pleased to say that the polishing was successful and the whole car has now been polished removing all the damage and giving a most satisfactory shine to the car.

So I now face the decision of a having a new garage built or finding a “non-touch car cover”, watch this space as they say.

Given the painless (though worrying at the time) resolution I feel it is only right and proper that I express my personal gratitude to Paul Dickerson who is the Parts Manager at Barretts Ashford. Paul worked resolutely and without fuss in the background and without his help the outcome there might have been different. The parts team in Ashford have always been an outstanding bunch and now I have had the benefit of Paul’s support I can see why.

Whilst there was no admission of fault, I was told that JLR paid for the repair work.

Doug Barrass.
Ashford, Kent.

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm
by PTR200Jag
Brilliant, what a result !

Don't ask you don't get, as ianoliver57 quite rightly said !

and yes get a "non touch cover" .... its called a garage !! :wink:

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:27 am
by ianoliver57
Result!! Mr Angry does it again!! :D



Keep polishing


Regards

Ian.

Re: Jaguar cover causing paintwork damage

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 pm
by mike020150
It's good to hear about excellent service from any dealer. It makes a pleasant change from reading complaints! Mike.