An’interesting’ discovery

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

steve.pritchard146

Member
Posts:69
Joined:Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 am
Location:Calne
An’interesting’ discovery

Postby steve.pritchard146 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:44 pm

Our x100 XKR convertible finally reached top of the queue today for replacement rear hood hoses after one split late last year.
I purchased some over the winter, but what with an engine rebuild on my defender, a new clutch in daughter #3’s Mazda, lots of electrical gremlins in my x358 it’s kind of slid - anyway today was the day!

As anyone who’s carried out the task knows, It’s not a difficult job to change the 4 rear hoses- it is however a bit tedious having to remove the rear seats, side trims, speakers, dismantle the boot trims, remove the roof pump.

Anyway…the reason behind my post was the discovery of the reason for failure.

I had originally replaced the two front hoses a few years ago after they failed in the latch area in what seems to be a well documented manner where the plastic coated pipe split at the union. The fail though on the rear hoses was in a flat run across the rear ‘parcel shelf’/hood stowage under the trim panel.I didn’t think much of it as I’d always known they were likely to need replacing sometime soon and I’d got probably another 3 years since changing the fronts.

I’d noticed as I had removed the hoses that they were taped together at intervals (two hoses to each ram)I’d cut the tapes off as I changed the hoses one at a time to avoid reconnecting them incorrectly, it was only on inspection of the first hose that I noticed at the leaking spilt that it had occurred under one of the taped sections and that the plastic coating was all decayed and falling away - but only where the tape had been I then realised on closer examination that the hose showed the same plastic decay under each area that had been taped- this was the same on all 4 hoses, although only one had failed.

So it look like the glue used on the tape is actually some sort of plastic attacking solvent that caused the final demise of the hose.These are of course original hoses with so I probably can’t complain too much- but I thought I’d share.

I’ve included a few pics that show (very badly) the area under a few taped bits- the rest of the untaped hoses were fine.

Just thought I’d share….
Attachments
2DA28F0F-7926-47EA-9D65-B0D38A3F862C.jpeg
726F9E57-BD71-4FAC-B9F0-16DC762545D5.jpeg
AD0B17CC-D52F-453C-A558-38ACAD008058.jpeg
Last edited by steve.pritchard146 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
2001 XKR silver, 2008 XJ Blue, 1986 Land Rover Defender, 1967 3.8S cream
Past:
S500, Porsche 944 Cab, Porsche 928 GT, porsche 944 Lux ,Volvo XC90,Volvo S80 T6,Jaguar XJS v12,Volvo C70,Mini R56 Cooper S,Land rover Discovery, Range Rover V8 HSE

User avatar
Lucky

Member
Posts:142
Joined:Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:08 am
Location:Worcestershire

Re: An’interesting’ discovery

Postby Lucky » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:07 pm

Bloomin' 'eck. That's slightly worrying. Thanks for sharing.
2017 F-Pace 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Portfolio in Indus Silver (sold)
2001 XK8 4.0 Coupe in Quartz
1989 XJ40 4.0 Sovereign (gone but not forgotten)

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: An’interesting’ discovery

Postby mike020150 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:39 am

As you say, very interesting. Thanks for the info. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

steve.pritchard146

Member
Posts:69
Joined:Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 am
Location:Calne

Re: An’interesting’ discovery

Postby steve.pritchard146 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:01 pm

This picture probably provides a slightly better view and context - you can see white banding where the glue from the tape has attacked the hose, obvious in some places, les obvious in others, but without fail everywhere there is tape the plastic out case of the pipe has been attacked and was either cracked or missing
Attachments
IMG_0075 (3).jpg
Current:
2001 XKR silver, 2008 XJ Blue, 1986 Land Rover Defender, 1967 3.8S cream
Past:
S500, Porsche 944 Cab, Porsche 928 GT, porsche 944 Lux ,Volvo XC90,Volvo S80 T6,Jaguar XJS v12,Volvo C70,Mini R56 Cooper S,Land rover Discovery, Range Rover V8 HSE

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: An’interesting’ discovery

Postby andypryce » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 pm

No doubt that’s something else waiting to fail on mine. Got to sort the gearbox and ABS first though….
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Astromorg

Member
Posts:512
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm
Location:Portsmouth/Southampton

Re: An’interesting’ discovery

Postby Astromorg » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:40 pm

I knew there was another reason why I bought a coupe apart from just good looks :wink:
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests