Stone Chips

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

BobPapworth
Posts:2
Joined:Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:04 pm
Stone Chips

Postby BobPapworth » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:25 am

I an new to JEC having just brought my 1997 XK8 in Saphire Blue. The car is in lovely condition, but the bonnet is covered with stone chips. There is probably at least 50 in all. I am sure this question has been asked before, but is there a way of dealing with them. I am tempted to touch each one in using touch up paint and then perhaps T cutting the bonnet and polishing it back. However, I am fearful that the result may look as if the car has got some horrible illness and end up covered in little spots. Is there a recognised way of dealing with stone chips.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Bob, the bonnet of the XK8 does seem particularly prone to picking up stone chippings. Sadly, there is no magic secret to the problem. You could try one of the proprietary car prep franchises. Sometimes, for small numbers of chips, they are more cost effective than a traditional paint shop but for large numbers of chips it's probably as well to have the bonnet resprayed. Assuming there's no rust or dent damage, it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Mike.

BobPapworth
Posts:2
Joined:Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Postby BobPapworth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm

Mike, Thanks for that. I think you are right, there is no short cut. In truth the stone chips are not bad and you have to look for them. For the moment I suspect that I will leave all well alone and simply ensure that I wax polish well. The car is some eleven years old and perhaps one should expect this sort of thing which in a way adds to the feel of what is really becoming a classic motor car. Thanks again for your comments. Bob


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests