Hood care

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am
Hood care

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:40 am

Hi All. Does anyone have any advice/experience in keeping hoods clean? I have a soft top with a tan canvas hood and am reluctant to use much in the way of cleaners on it or to try scrubbing it. Unfortunately after a week or three it does start to show the dirt and the handbook doesn't seem to help much (or I haven't found the right bit yet).
The car still looks great even with a grubby hood :P
Steve

User avatar
Scottish-Exile
Posts:29
Joined:Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm
Location:Kedzierzyn-Kozle. POLAND
Contact:

Postby Scottish-Exile » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:53 am

I've always just scrubbed it with soapy water and given it a good rinse afterwards. My car is just over a year old and I don't feel the need to use expensive conditioners on it yet. My roof is green, so I suppose I get away with more than a light colour like yours.

Most of the guys over on XKEC use Autoglym roof restorer, Shampoo and Conditioner.

Jaguar sell thier own equivalent, which is probably Autoglym but under their own brand.

The JDHT were selling this at bargain prices recently. Their web site seems to be down this morning so I can't check.

http://www.jdht.com/index_intro.html

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 pm

I've used the Jaguar product on a black hood and it came up well. It looked brand new. Having written that, I don't know how often hoods should be given the full clean and re-proofing treatment to keep them at their optimum. Does anyone have any suggestions? :?: Mike.

mickmoor1
Posts:35
Joined:Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location:leicester

Postby mickmoor1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi all I have an xk covertable with a blue roof and recently got a genuine jaguar cleaning and reproofing kit off ebay for abt £25.00, they are still available on ebay, parts and accsesories part No 250002060191 do a search and look its about half jaguar dealers prices just waiting for another nice weekend to clean and reproof mine :D

all the best Mick

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am

hood care

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:20 pm

Thanks for all those inputs. I'll track one down and let you know the results

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am

Hood care

Postby Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Well, I found a hood care kit at my local Jaguar dealers. They happen also to be a Lotus dealer and the hood care kit is the same for both cars - the AutoGlym set. The same that is except for the price - the Lotus badged kit is £26, about a quarter of the price charged by Jaguar. I assume that is what is available on e-Bay.
It worked pretty well, the grubby spots have vanished. I do now have some new watermarks in the tan hood so will have to have another go to get rid of them.

mickmoor1
Posts:35
Joined:Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location:leicester

Postby mickmoor1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 pm

hello steve

Just attended the J E C rally at Harewood, and guess what in the main marqee was barretts a jag suppliers and they were selling the reproofing kits same as the one i got from ebay, wait for it £5.00 yes £5 i could not believe it so i ask if the price was right , yes it as so i got one for a spare , they say they sell it for that price all the while???
what a bargain :D
mick


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests