Page 1 of 1
XK8 Rotoflex coupling
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:43 am
by kiwipom
I need to replace the rotoflex on my 1997 XK8...Is it the same part as the coupling on the 4.0 XJ8 ? Is it a fairly straightforward job? as I have ordered a repair CD but hasn't arrived yet.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm
by mike020150
Assuming you are referring to the propshaft Jurid coupling, the same coupling is used on saloons and the XK8. Jaguar manuals carry a warning which says, "Under no circumstances may the flexible coupling be removed from the driveshaft (or its fixings be loosened).". Jaguar suggests that in the interests of good balance, the entire driveshaft should be replaced. Removing the shaft is reasonably straightforward. Mike.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm
by kiwipom
seems a bit OTT? to replace the shaft also. My 'Jurid' is tearing and I thought I should replace it. The local supplier can get one but the Jaguar dealer in Wellington is not very helpful & simply takes parts orders & then orders from the UK adding a surcharge on top of all the other charges (shipping & customs)
I think I'll get the parts CD & order from XKs in USA. ...thanks for the help Mike
Jurid coupling replacement
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:19 am
by kiwipom
I've done the job now....a bit fiddly for access & had to release both ends of the shaft & jiggle it to allow enough clearance to remove the Jurid.
Thanks for advice
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm
by mike020150
Glad it's fixed. At least the weather over the holiday period would have been more suitable for garage work than here in the UK. Icy fingers seem to be damaged so much more easily than when it's warm! Mike.