Traction Control

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Roger695
Posts:3
Joined:Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:42 pm
Location:Leighton Buzzard
Contact:
Traction Control

Postby Roger695 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Say hullo to a virgin BB contributor needing help. I have a silver 1999 XK8 Coupe with around 80k on the clock and a new engine fitted nine months ago.
When I make low speed sharp turns, such as entering a side street, left or right, on low throttle, the engine dies for a second or two and the orange dash ASC warning light flicks on, then off. Traction control seems to operate correctly in slippery conditions.
Main dealer says they can find no fault code logged, and suggest problem is power steering pump at full lock pulling down voltage and causing traction control to operate. I find it hard to connect power steering at the front with traction control at the back.
I have also read a view from Australia in JWM mag that the control unit associated with traction control is a known source of problems.
Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer a view?
Roger

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Roger,
It's surprising that your dealer says there is no fault code logged. The suggestion about the power steering is a reference to these cars' sensitivity to low voltages. I'd presume the mechanic's suggesting that the drag at full lock momentarily slows the engine below normal operating speeds for the alternator and hence causes a voltage drop which manifests itself as the flashing lamp. Nothing's impossible with these electronic systems but I'd be inclined to check out wheel bearings and anti-lock sensors. If there's bearing wear present, under the cornering forces you describe the anti-lock wheel and sensor may be moving out of range or simply stretching a dodgy cable connection to it. Mike.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest