J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

rindskopf

Member
Posts:1
Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:16 pm
J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby rindskopf » Tue May 30, 2023 2:20 pm

Manual gear selection on J box selector and sport button work for about 20 minutes driving then light on sport button goes off and manual gears can no longer be selected when moving over from auto. Any ideas on problem please?

andrew.graham97934

Member
Posts:107
Joined:Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm

Re: J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby andrew.graham97934 » Tue May 30, 2023 2:39 pm

I have a similar problem, intermittently .
From what I have read it can be caused by implausible signals being sent from the linear switch in the gear selector.
I have yet to investigate myself. Apparently the switch can be opened up with care, and the tracks cleaned up.
But I stress I haven't done this yet myself, so anybody who has and can offer advice, I too would be interested.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby davidr » Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 pm

You might like to look at this topic where I took out the linear switch on my 2001 XKR and cleaned it up. Ignore the first 2 pages of posts as I worked through some other problems

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14725&start=30&sid ... db2a7f3545
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby andypryce » Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Are you getting any fault lights on dash, eg gearbox fault? The other area that causes problems is the rotary switch on the gearbox itself.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Astromorg

Member
Posts:512
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm
Location:Portsmouth/Southampton

Re: J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby Astromorg » Tue May 30, 2023 6:59 pm

Not happy with what I was thinking :(

Edited out for a re-think :oops:
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: J box and sport mode button XKR 2003.

Postby andypryce » Tue May 30, 2023 9:42 pm

On reflection I think if it’s the rotary switch the gearbox goes into failsafe mode and locks in gear 3. So the linear switch more likely culprit.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests