Amber warning auto box

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall
Amber warning auto box

Postby painter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I've had an ongoing 'problem' with amber "gearbox fault" flashing up . I had ignored this as it always seemed to occur after I had left the car for two weeks without use and battery flat.
More recently it has occured when engaging reverse, but always clears after switching off ignition/restarting, and the gearbox then performs ok. (when amber warning comes on I lose 1st gear).
Had this checked on last occasion by Main Dealer who picked up fault code related to 'pressure control' between gear changes, but not convinced that this is mechanical, so advised to continue driving and see when it next flags up.
Just in case of the worst scenario can anybody recommend an auto gearbox specialist in the South West who provides a decent warranty. (The one mentioned on a recent topic in Portsmouth sound good but who were they?)
I always thought that if the gearbox is capable of functioning properly after restarting the engine then it can't possibly be a mechanical fault, but am I wrong in this? :?

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Amber warning auto box

Postby PrideofLyons » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 am


Just in case of the worst scenario can anybody recommend an auto gearbox specialist in the South West who provides a decent warranty. (The one mentioned on a recent topic in Portsmouth sound good but who were they?)


The Express Gearbox Company on 023 9265 0502.

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

gearbox repair

Postby painter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Many thanks Pride of Lyons, I'll start saving :shock:

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Gearbox Repair in the South West

Postby J44EAG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:53 pm

I`ve used Bristol Transmissions in Fishponds,Bristol. MD is Simon Park.

You may have noticed their advertisments in our JEC Magazine.

My S-type gearbox failed just over a year ago. Simon`s men, overhauled the transmission and torque converter and I`m pleased to say it has performed faultlessly ever since. No problems or glitches at all.

Service was superb and I was reguarly updated on progress. They even dropped me home after I delivered the car and picked me up when the car was ready for collection.

A 100% job. I can recommend the Company. A pleasure to do business with.

Mike Kennedy

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

amber warning

Postby painter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks j44eag,
I had seen their ad previously and nice to know there are some good companies out there. I have phoned Express Gearboxes and very helpful response, and as I have family near Portsmouth will probably take a trip there, subject to findings this week which I am still hoping will resolve into a far less expensive option.

deltasierra
Posts:9
Joined:Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Postby deltasierra » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:51 pm

If the battery has been allowed to go flat regularly it is probably well below par and low voltage is number one cause of electrical gremlins, including fault codes. Disconnecting the battery or connecting a trickle charger is the only way to avoid this, even a new battery will be drained in 3 weeks or so by the locked system current.
The transmission is supposed to be sealed for life but cars that are older or high mileage need the oil changed which is not as easy as it sounds, before dismantling the gearbox, try the oil change.


Dave

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

amber warning

Postby painter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:19 pm

I should have mentioned that the engine and gearbox were replaced in 2005 (by previous owner) and have only done approx. 10k since. The engine was a replacement Jag. unit but I was told the gearbox was stripped down and rebuilt. (can this be done on a sealed unit?).
Until recently, due to the low mileage on the gearbox, I had always thought the battery the most likely culprit. Have only used the car 3 times since and no fault codes have shown, so may try the 'J' gate next time out. (I have never used this :oops: )


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest