Page 1 of 1

Engine temperature guage warning light has come on - Help!

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 pm
by 3.4XJ6series2
Hi - a few weeks in to XK8 ownership and driving back from work tonight (still with a big smile) suddenly noticed the temperature guage red warning light was on with the needle in the red. Stopped immediately and switched off the engine. Opened up the bonnet but no sign of a coolant leak or anything untoward. By the time I had got the handbook out and read advice - 'stop engine-contact your Jaguar dealer' and switched the ignition on to monitor the temp guage it was showing normal operating temperature again (so within a couple of minutes which seemed odd).
On the remaining 10 miles home no further issues, but the needle gave a couple of minor fluctuations. Having just checked coolant levels now the engine has cooled coolant level is normal? So have I got a problem? Incidentally my cooling fan is on constantly - usually whirring away for 5 mins after I stop the car. Is this normal for a XK8? Any advice or thoughts gratefully received!
Cheers
Alex

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:54 am
by ibnct
Hi Alex,
I've not had any experience with this but your problem may be caused by duff coolant thermostat. I know this can be a problem area on some XK's.
Perhaps someone else may like to expand further on this.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 am
by 3.4XJ6series2
Thanks ibnct,

I have driven the car this morning and the needle started heading towards the red after about 25 minutes. Having posted this topic last night in a bit of a rush I have since noticed there is a section on Radiator and cooling system (apologies if I have posted in the wrong place!). I have read some similar topics so it looks like it could be coolant thermostat, perhaps water pump. Big problem I have now is that local Jaguar specialist is booked for next 3 weeks, grrrr! Time to get the XJ6 out of the garage......

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 am
by 3.4XJ6series2
Just to give latest update - it was the coolant thermostat. Managed to get it done this week at a jaguar specialist in Bristol. I also got the water pump replaced at the same time. Now the fan isn't constantly on either! ;-) Now the XJ6 can be put back in the garage having done sterling service this week up and down the M4.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 pm
by mike020150
It's good to hear a happy ending! Mike.