P0336 crank wave form

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Mini

Member
Posts:40
Joined:Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:14 am
P0336 crank wave form

Postby Mini » Fri Apr 11, 2025 6:40 pm

I have a P0336 which I know is not due to the sensor or wiring harness. The wave form show 35 voltage peaks and troughs going from plus 2.37V to -2.46 volts. The last three notches create roughly a 10% increase compared to the others.

Does this signify a correctly operating crank sensor on a correctly shaped reluctor ring on the flywheel ?

Thanks

Astromorg

Member
Posts:512
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm
Location:Portsmouth/Southampton

Re: P0336 crank wave form

Postby Astromorg » Sun Apr 13, 2025 7:26 pm

There should be 70 pulses per revolution that presumably are met by your 35 peaks and 35 troughs. The general sensor supply voltage to the engine control system is a nominal 5v, so peaks and troughs of 4.76 in total sounds about right while a 10 per cent increase during the longer pulse at the marker position also sounds what should be expected, given the longer period for the voltage to build up against the back-emf.

I think it's the time period of one longer pulse per revolution that triggers the count rather than the actual value of the voltage.

What's the problem whose solution seems to be eluding and frustrating you? :?
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport

Mini

Member
Posts:40
Joined:Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:14 am

Re: P0336 crank wave form

Postby Mini » Mon Apr 14, 2025 9:14 am

The problem is the engine struggles to start but does always start. On starting it either goes into idle and the accelerator will not make any difference to the idle speed or it kind of runs ok but misfires and runs rough. Limp mode comes on almost immediately at start and P0336.

If the reluctor and sensor are working then what am I left with considering the behaviour is the same with a cloned ECU and I have experimented with a seperate sensor completely wired in on a new cable to the ECU connector. I am sceptical its the ECU connector because if I pull the crank sensor I get a p0335 infering when plugged in its seeing the sensor but not liking the signal

Thanks


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests