Accelerator issues

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Philxkr

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 pm
Accelerator issues

Postby Philxkr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi All. I have a fabulous 1998 xkr with only 61k 0n the clock. the issue I have is when I start the car up most of the time the accelerator does not work, if I put the car in reverse or drive the accelerator works fine if I put it in neutral or park most of the time the accelerator does not work. Hope someone can help. regards Phil

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Accelerator issues

Postby mike020150 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 am

This problem sounds like the car is receiving conflicting messages from different sensors and as a safety measure, it defaults to no pedal response. The chances are that the issue is due to wear, damage or a fault in the gear selector or associated switches. As usual, a good diagnostics technician and the right equipment should be able to pinpoint the fault. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

Philxkr

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Accelerator issues

Postby Philxkr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info, all sounds sensible to me, I have e-mailed Nenejag and am awaiting a reply, I also have a main dealer close to me ( Duckworth ) and will ring them tomorrow. I will make sure I feedback to the forum on what the problem was. Allanj (modern xk) also advised a full diagnostic on the electrical system.
Thank you again for the info.
Regards Phil

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Accelerator issues

Postby davidr » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Phil
Clive at Nene Jag will sort you out. Personally I would avoid the main dealer. Their labour rate is probably double Clive's and they will try to get you to replace everything in sight!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Accelerator issues

Postby J44EAG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 pm

I can induce a similar fault on my X350R with the Sprint Booster throttle response unit. This is only when I deliberately set the unit to the highest race response settings which then as PTJS1 and I have proved under test conditions, opens the throttle to over FOUR times the throttle plate angle when compared to standard OE throttle openings! Over enthusiastic tear away standing starts at full throttle cause the ECU to fail completely with the net result of complete throttle failure...its a bit disconcerting....

What happens is that the ECU is not programmed to accept such outrageous signalling parameters and shuts down completely. MIL lamp, engine check and message centre restricted performance occurs. One then has to clear the fault which comes up on the ICarsoft diagnostic gizmo as "system out of limits". Cleared down, the ECU recovers and off you go again for the next blast, but this time with the Booster set rather lower down the response scale. In the case of our induced failures, we put this down to the throttle plate angle ie the throttle pot on the side of the throttle body being out of acceptable and agreed limits of the throttle pedal and the throttle actuator electric stepper motor.

I have a suspicion that the above issue might be down to a worn throttle angle pot. More likely though to be something to do with the rotary switch on the side of the gearbox.

I`ll be interested to see what the eventual outcome is.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Philxkr

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Accelerator issues Sorted

Postby Philxkr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi all. I decided to take my car to K Muggleston & Co at Anton's Gowt after they were recommended by a friend, Neil Mugglestone is the one who resolved the problem after a some investigating he sauced a new Linear switch assembly ( part number LNC 6551 AC ) which has completely resolved the issue. I also had the car Terracleaned while it was there, and am impressed at how the car now runs smoother and more responsive. I must say I was very impressed with the service from Neil and his team and would recommend them very highly. There details are K Mugglestone & Co. Stillwater Cottage. Anton's Gowt, Boston, Lincs. PE227BG. Tel/Fax 01205 280317. Mobile 07985 149607. mail@jaguarfuelconversions.co.uk or www.jaguarfuelconversions.co.uk. Thank you to those of you who have given advice. Regards Phil

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Accelerator issues

Postby J44EAG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Neil is well known to us. A top guy indeed.

Terraclean is brilliant. Cleared a duff spot on my X350R and has made a huge difference. Keep an eye on your oil colour and change when it gets nasty. You won`t believe how much gunk comes out with the oil when it is dropped. I also added a can of Wynns Engine Flush before the drop and idled the car. For a fiver, it really continues to help rid an engine full of foul contaminated oil. New oil and filter were fitted which is only just starting to brown after another 2,000 miles of use.

A clean engine is definitely a happy engine. Mine has never run better.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests