indicators
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
I lost the 'click' recently on the indicator unit, but indicator lamps were still working as were the green arrows on the dash. Now however I have lost the indicator offside and the green light on the dash (for this side). Does anybody have any experience of this or where the solenoids are situated. (My JTIS doesn't work on new 64 bit computer). Really hoping this isn't a dashboard out job!!
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: indicators
My suggestion for this type of fault is 'Don't panic!' It''s all too easy to think the worst and imagine a nasty failure of the body processing module or similar. Try starting with the simple stuff we all used to tackle before electronics arrived. In this case, the various lamp unit earths have to be the suspects to clean and test along with confirmation that the bulbs are all of the correct type, wattage and free from corrosion. It's amazingly easy to look too deeply when faced with electronic glitches. It's also more cost effective to check out the basics before resorting to computer diagnostics. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: indicators
Hello Mike,
thanks for that. the indicators are now working both sides, but the 'click' has gone and the green light offside is not flashing. As the indicators are working I guess the bulbs/outboard connections are sound - so would seem to be the circuit to the indicators (and 'click')?
thanks for that. the indicators are now working both sides, but the 'click' has gone and the green light offside is not flashing. As the indicators are working I guess the bulbs/outboard connections are sound - so would seem to be the circuit to the indicators (and 'click')?
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: indicators
It's best not to assume anything. These electronics are quite fussy about the signals they receive. Checking the basics rather than assuming they must be OK has to be more cost effective than paying for sophisticated diagnostics to tell you the same story. Don't forget to check dashboard earths while you are at it. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: indicators
Hello Mike,
its the speaker. I've lost the warning chimes for various functions but the indicators are working ok. I can see the 'vented' area in the steering column where I assume the speaker hides - is it an easy job to get to (and replace if necessary)?
I'm beyond the age where I can contort into foot wells and my electrickery skills are finger threatening, but still worth a go if it saves a substantial bill on labour rates.
its the speaker. I've lost the warning chimes for various functions but the indicators are working ok. I can see the 'vented' area in the steering column where I assume the speaker hides - is it an easy job to get to (and replace if necessary)?
I'm beyond the age where I can contort into foot wells and my electrickery skills are finger threatening, but still worth a go if it saves a substantial bill on labour rates.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: indicators
Hi, You have me stumped.
I have to confess that I don't know precisely where the audible warning is produced and it's not immediately apparent from any of the workshop information I hold. I would be surprised if it had its own 'vent'. Try dropping David Marks or XJK an email. I'm sure their constant work on XK8s will enable either of them to answer the query. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: indicators
Hello Mike,
I did do some research and also contacted Iain of XJK. 'Vent' is a poor description on my part, but the speaker is in the steering column (RHS) and its location is behind the series of pinholes in the plastic cover. I am told most small speakers from old stereo headphones would do the job if it needs replacing but could just be wiring connection. I'll have a go but need to wait until the Cornish monsoon season decides to b#**er off and allow us some warm/dry weather.
I did do some research and also contacted Iain of XJK. 'Vent' is a poor description on my part, but the speaker is in the steering column (RHS) and its location is behind the series of pinholes in the plastic cover. I am told most small speakers from old stereo headphones would do the job if it needs replacing but could just be wiring connection. I'll have a go but need to wait until the Cornish monsoon season decides to b#**er off and allow us some warm/dry weather.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests