The UK market XK's have a single chirp on first locking and a second with the deadlock . Upon unlocking you get a double chirp, yesterday we had our local main dealer turn this off.
It was a simple matter of plugging in their diagnostic unit and turning the chirp off. They were unable to turn the one off on the deadlock ( which is maybe no bad thing).
But we can now lock and unlock in silence. The indicator lights still flash to let you know that the car is locked/unlocked.
Reason for wanting the silence?... our Doberman dog became a quivering wreck when the locks were being used!!
Alarm 'chirp' switched off
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
- Scottish-Exile
- Posts:29
- Joined:Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm
- Location:Kedzierzyn-Kozle. POLAND
- Contact:
Alarm \'chirp\' switched off
A good tip this ans something most owners don't realise, although it is referred to in the owners manual. I believe that in some markets, the key fob also has a 'personal panic alarm' button that can be activated.
What I've also 'discovered', or at least, started to use now that I didn't before, is the option to turn on your headlights as you approach the car. Perfect for these early dark nights we're now getting
What I've also 'discovered', or at least, started to use now that I didn't before, is the option to turn on your headlights as you approach the car. Perfect for these early dark nights we're now getting
Re: Alarm 'chirp' switched off
They were unable to turn the one off on the deadlock ( which is maybe no bad thing).
My car makes no noise at all on arming/dissarming (2001MY).
I have read that the alarm sounder under the front wing fails, so i assume that is it.
I have still not understood what that sounder is for, as when the alarm goes off (as it sometimes does in very heavy rain) its the car horn that sounds... so I kinda think the front sounder is just for the beeps!
Thoughts?
David
My car makes no noise at all on arming/dissarming (2001MY).
I have read that the alarm sounder under the front wing fails, so i assume that is it.
I have still not understood what that sounder is for, as when the alarm goes off (as it sometimes does in very heavy rain) its the car horn that sounds... so I kinda think the front sounder is just for the beeps!
Thoughts?
David
Hi David ,
The "sounder" emits a tone when the car is locked/unlocked , now the best bit , it can be activated/deactivated by the dealer or for that matter anyone with the correct equipment so.......... it looks like yours has been deactivated Dave ,
Best Wishes ,
Nik
The "sounder" emits a tone when the car is locked/unlocked , now the best bit , it can be activated/deactivated by the dealer or for that matter anyone with the correct equipment so.......... it looks like yours has been deactivated Dave ,
Best Wishes ,
Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
Hi
The sounder is located on the OSF, under the headlamp. and is accessible by just removing the wheel arch liner.
I have read over on XKEC that several guys have swapped the sounder out and its about £60-70 after discount.
I really must go have a look and disect the box... cannot beleive its not repairable....its a simple device.... and certainly not worth £70 to repair just for the beeps!
David
The sounder is located on the OSF, under the headlamp. and is accessible by just removing the wheel arch liner.
I have read over on XKEC that several guys have swapped the sounder out and its about £60-70 after discount.
I really must go have a look and disect the box... cannot beleive its not repairable....its a simple device.... and certainly not worth £70 to repair just for the beeps!
David
Guys
Having another look around, it seems its worth checking fuses number 3 and 9 in the engine bay fuse box.
Here is a (stolen - thanks Robocop!) picture of it in situ...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/si ... C02477.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/si ... C02478.jpg
Hope that helps!
David
Having another look around, it seems its worth checking fuses number 3 and 9 in the engine bay fuse box.
Here is a (stolen - thanks Robocop!) picture of it in situ...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/si ... C02477.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/si ... C02478.jpg
Hope that helps!
David
Hi
Been doing some more digging....
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii23 ... under2.jpg
It appears that the active sounder is used for the beeps, and also if the car battery is disconnected or flat, the same sounder will then be used as the sole car alarm sounder....
DJ
Been doing some more digging....
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii23 ... under2.jpg
It appears that the active sounder is used for the beeps, and also if the car battery is disconnected or flat, the same sounder will then be used as the sole car alarm sounder....
DJ
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest