Page 1 of 1
Radio Aerial Removal - 2002 convertible
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:55 am
by stephennskinner382
I am struggling to see how I might remove and replace the electric car radio aerial on my 2002 convertible. I'm beginning to think I will have to remove the cd player and changer (which has the hood hydraulic motor mounted on top), which I'd rather not but maybe I have to. Any thoughts?
Stephen Skinner
Re: Radio Aerial Removal - 2002 convertible
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 pm
by Astromorg
If you really need to replace the whole assembly, I don't see an easy way round it, but if it's just the mast itself that's snapped, that can usually be replaced from outside the car very quickly. The part number you would need is LNA4134AA, available from SNG Barratt. They have a choice of OEM for about £35 or after-market for about £10.
This You Tube video shows how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An200_BK1u0
Re: Radio Aerial Removal - 2002 convertible
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 am
by stephennskinner382
Very many thanks, unfortunately, the mast is not snapped. Rather, when the radio is turned on, you can quite clearly hear the gearing turning and grinding in the aerial main body with zero movement of the antennae itself. I have scoured the YouTube etc for an answer but nothing yet.
Re: Radio Aerial Removal - 2002 convertible
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am
by mike020150
If the mast becomes dirty/corroded, the aerial motor will sound as you describe. You could try removing the mast and cleaning it but experience suggests that they only work for a while before jamming again. Alternatively, as has been suggested, a cheap replacement mast wouldn't break the bank and would stand a good chance of curing the problem for longer. Complete genuine OE aerials are expensive (£246.82 + VAT!). Mike.
Re: Radio Aerial Removal - 2002 convertible
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:53 am
by stephennskinner382
Mike
Very many thanks again. I shall try the cleaning/replacement mast route first - certainly not the OE route. Stephen