Page 1 of 1

2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:04 pm
by richard.whittington
Hello All
My xk8, although almost seventeen years old, is still a pleasure to drive, in Daylight, Unfortunately in the dark, the lights are abysmal. Has anyone experienced the same concerns, and been able to replace the original bulbs with more efficient bulbs.
Your advice will be much appreciated
Kind Regards, and a merry Xmas to all member
R Whittington

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:30 pm
by X200ROG
Hello All
My xk8, although almost seventeen years old, is still a pleasure to drive, in Daylight, Unfortunately in the dark, the lights are abysmal. Has anyone experienced the same concerns, and been able to replace the original bulbs with more efficient bulbs.
Your advice will be much appreciated
Kind Regards, and a merry Xmas to all member
R Whittington
I agree, the headlights are pretty poor. I replaced mine with bulbs that I bought on ebay, that promised 100% more light. They did help a little, but still not perfect. I guess any improvement is better than nothing

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm
by J44EAG
I can only speak from my experience with an OE halogen equipped 2002 S-type with H7 lamps and my current X350R with OE Osram standard HID lamps.

In the S-type I replaced the standard dipped beam halogen lamps with the Extreme Brilliance +130% lamps sold by Halfords. Phillips also offer similar uprates as do Osram with the hologen Night Breaker series. The Halfords units made a huge difference to night time driving.

With the 350, I replaced the standard OE Osram HID dipped beam lamps with Osram Night Breaker HID +130% units. The improvement was astonishing as shown in these before and after shots. Sorry, I didn`t take any images when I changed the S-type lamps.

X350 with Osram HID OE lamps before the uprate.
20170606_224258 (Custom).jpg
X350 with Osram HID Night Breaker lamps after the uprate.
20170609_222111 - Copy (Custom).jpg
As like as chalk and cheese. Uprated halogens ex Halfords are about £30 a pair. The uprated HID Night Breaker HID lamps were sourced from the internet at around £80 a pair.

Hope that helps.

Mike K

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm
by PTR200Jag
Like Mike K I went down the route of Nightbreakers and in the two years I have had them in there have been no problems and the light output is still fantastic....compared with the standard stuff.

There is a thread on this part of the forum where I posed the same question re the original lights and in fact I note, RW ,you posted earlier this year on that thread.. sorry I missed it or I would have replied. I don't come onto the forum much now since the new website went live I don't have time to keep logging into it :lol:

However, if you are feeling flush then HID is a game changer.

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 pm
by PTR200Jag
Here is why I don't visit often, as well, now, just after I posted this happened :roll:


Image

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm
by mike020150
Hi Peter,
I'm on the new website several times a day and I can honestly say I have never had that screen appear and I'm certainly no computer expert. Why not give James in the office a call to see if he can suggest a solution? Mike.

Re: 2001 reg. XK8 Headlights

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 pm
by richard.whittington
Hello all
Thanks for your replies, and I will try Oscan night breakers as advised.
Let there be light.
RW