LED interior / boot lamps

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
PTR200Jag
Posts:549
Joined:Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Location:Lancashire
LED interior / boot lamps

Postby PTR200Jag » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:31 am

The one thing that currently irritates me on my car is the interior / boot lights, they really are very poor... as most cars are :(
I have changed lamps( Bulbs) to LED canbus versions on other cars to great effect so I would like to do the same on the XK8

There only appears to be two fittings in the boot, left and right behind the tail-light that contain 37mm festoon bulbs.

Can I change to these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-37mm-3-SMD ... 1c26bae70e

Does the electrical system cooperate with them :wink:

What about the interior, the rear seems to have same festoon in it as the boot but I haven't got into the front fittings yet and as the interior has a dimming system are LED ok?
XK8 MY2002

aaj

Moderator
Posts:177
Joined:Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 am

Re: LED interior / boot lamps

Postby aaj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:17 pm

I bought similar items in Feb last year

They are brighter but the result was not as good as I was expecting (due to the location of the boot lights) - but still worth fitting.

Although they are not marked +/- they need to be fitted the right way around to work

I recall that someone installed additional lights to good effect.

I'll look through my back copies of my Club mags & report back (assuming no one beats me to it)

I've never bothered changing interior lights as I thought them ok

I have however replaced the headlamp bulbs for the Halfords Ultra Brilliance Range (448ULB & 9005ULB). Halfords offer a 2 for the price of 1 from time to time.

AllanJ
XK8 Registrar
2016 F-Type British Design Edition AWD; 1972 650 Triton

User avatar
PTR200Jag
Posts:549
Joined:Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Location:Lancashire

Re: LED interior / boot lamps

Postby PTR200Jag » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I bought similar items in Feb last year

They are brighter but the result was not as good as I was expecting (due to the location of the boot lights) - but still worth fitting.

Although they are not marked +/- they need to be fitted the right way around to work

I recall that someone installed additional lights to good effect.

I'll look through my back copies of my Club mags & report back (assuming no one beats me to it)

I've never bothered changing interior lights as I thought them ok

I have however replaced the headlamp bulbs for the Halfords Ultra Brilliance Range (448ULB & 9005ULB). Halfords offer a 2 for the price of 1 from time to time.

AllanJ
Thanks for the info, I went ahead and bought two, installed one in the boot to check, works perfectly and one in the interior above rear seat. Also works great :D

So will buy another for boot but I need to see what the ones in the front overhead interior lights have in them... I thought the lense would come off the map / courtesy light but it seems not. I checked manual and apparently the complete dome comes away from the head lining but I can't seem to get it off and don't want to break it... manual not very clear except to say it is a push/pull fit :?
XK8 MY2002

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: LED interior / boot lamps

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

It's more of a prise very carefully procedure! Try doing it from one side rather than from the rear. Good luck. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
PTR200Jag
Posts:549
Joined:Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Location:Lancashire

Re: LED interior / boot lamps

Postby PTR200Jag » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 am

Definitely got the jitters for taking this off, it creaks and groans :shock: might just leave it until the better weather and warmer plastics than might just give a little more !
XK8 MY2002


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests