Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

kingzetts
Posts:11
Joined:Mon May 28, 2012 6:59 pm
Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby kingzetts » Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi guys,
I'm close to taking the plunge into XK ownership, it will be either an XK8 or XKR 4.2 first generation. Jaguar credentials? Well, I do have a '62 E-type roadster (fine weather car) but have been burning through a bunch of unsatisfactory daily drivers since I sold my BMW M5 (the V8 version) a year ago after 11 years ownership (kids left home, don't eed a large saloon any more). I've had a 911 Carrera S (2005), an M3 (2005) and currently a 944 turbo - and they're all just too noisy compared to the M5 (which was amazingly refined for such a beast).

The issue with all of them has been road/tyre noise, especially from the rear, which given I do mostly motorway miles has been very tiresome. I'm expecting the XK to be a lot more refined - I have a friend with an XK8 which I drove recently and it seemed a lot more refined than any of them, about on a par with the BMW X5 I also own, and not too far away from the M5.

Anyway, enough rambling and on to a request for comments. Firstly, how do you rate your XKs on noise and refinement (if you have direct comparisons, all the better)? Second, how do the XK8 and XKR compare in this regard - I would prefer the XKR for the extra performance but not if it is at the expense of a significant noise increase. I presume I could buy an XKR and "soften" the suspension to XK8 spec but seems a bit pointless.

Any comments welcome.
John
'62 E-type roadster in Signal red
'05 XKR-S 4.2 coupe in dark blue

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby Nik » Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 pm

In my honest opinion , if noise is an issue I'd go for an "8" , they are a bit more refined noise wise and course you don't get any supercharger whine , if you can put up with a little harder suspension and don't mind the charger whine ( which I love) go for an"R"

I run an "8" as I'm not very keen on the holes in the bonnet of the "R"

My "8" is quite quick :wink: but firm on the suspension mostly due to the 20" Sepangs

Hope this helps ,

Nik

Image

Image
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby mike020150 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 am

On the X100s there isn't any difference in noise between the 8s and Rs unless you open the throttle wide when the supercharger noise dominates in the Rs. That particular noise tends to divide opinion sharply and hence falls into either the 'love it' or 'hate it' categories so it's a good idea to test both models to see which camp you side with. Road noise can be tyre brand dependent. Again, checking tyre brands when you road test a car is a good way of deciding which brand best suits your requirements. Then, if you come across a car which is a bit on the noisy side but otherwise fits the bill, you can work out if it's only a matter of changing the tyres to get it to perform as you'd like it to do. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

kingzetts
Posts:11
Joined:Mon May 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby kingzetts » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:14 pm


Thanks for the comments. I took the plunge this weekend and bought a 2003 XK8 in Adriatic blue, Ivory leather. Very happy so far and there's plenty of power for me, and even with the 20" Detroits it came on the noise levels are OK. Phew!
John
'62 E-type roadster in Signal red
'05 XKR-S 4.2 coupe in dark blue

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:17 am

Great! I'm sure the car will keep you smiling. Hope you'll join us in the XK8 section at Weston Park. :D Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

BADPower
Posts:16
Joined:Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby BADPower » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 am

Hey guys,

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I have to say to Nik....wow! What a stunning looking car!

I hope I can get to see it in the flesh, looks awesome and is exactly as I'd want one.

Regards,

Colin

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Prospective Owner - XK8 or XKR?

Postby Nik » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I have to say to Nik....wow! What a stunning looking car!

I hope I can get to see it in the flesh, looks awesome and is exactly as I'd want one.

Regards,

Colin
Why thank you very much Colin , I attend most of the JEC's major events or if you are ever in East Yorkshire , look me up , you will be welcome to have a look ,

If you search "XK8 Longcross circuit" on YouTube there is a video of my car in action ,

All the best ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests