I have just had a reminder from local dealership re: service due. The services have been carried out on an annual basis and therefore although the car has only covered 84k, it is now due for a 120,000 m service. (The cost of this is quoted as £530.00 + any additional work required).
Is there anywhere I can find a list of work carried out on a 120k service to check against, for instance, a 110k service. The price looks heavy enough but seems so much more than previous services, circa £200.00+.
I don't think this includes new gearbox oil, and looking through the details since I have owned the car the gearbox oil has not been replaced. (when does this need doing??)
service costs
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
service
Hi Felix,
mine is 96, and it does provide a breakdown in the maintenance schedules, but I always thought there was more to it than the items listed.
If these are accurate the only difference between a 50k and 120k would be air cleaner element, fuel filter and spark plugs. Can't imagine these could be responsible for the additional costs.
mine is 96, and it does provide a breakdown in the maintenance schedules, but I always thought there was more to it than the items listed.
If these are accurate the only difference between a 50k and 120k would be air cleaner element, fuel filter and spark plugs. Can't imagine these could be responsible for the additional costs.
Hi,
Personaly I would find and use a good independent Jag specialist in your area rather then a main agent.
I'd also have the auto gearbox oil & filter changed as a precaution. The auto box is classed as "sealed for life" however its advisable to have it changed to prolong the life of the gearbox. This would not feature on the main dealer standard service schedule.
You will most likely get a good service / gearbox oil change for half the price quoted by the dealer and no doubt a better job done too. The main agents tend to loose interest in older vehicles like ours very quickly !
I would suggest speaking with other club members in your area for recommendations.
All the best !
Personaly I would find and use a good independent Jag specialist in your area rather then a main agent.
I'd also have the auto gearbox oil & filter changed as a precaution. The auto box is classed as "sealed for life" however its advisable to have it changed to prolong the life of the gearbox. This would not feature on the main dealer standard service schedule.
You will most likely get a good service / gearbox oil change for half the price quoted by the dealer and no doubt a better job done too. The main agents tend to loose interest in older vehicles like ours very quickly !
I would suggest speaking with other club members in your area for recommendations.
All the best !
Hi
Spark plugs are about £13 each from main dealer, hence the huge price difference. You can get the exact same ones from a reputable motor factor at about £6 each.
I would recommend finding a good local independant garage, some may even allow you to be present to check the floor pan while on their ramps briefly, as well as being cheaper per hour and not adding stuff 'to do'.
Can't you tackle a simple service yourself? Just dropping the oil and changing the oil filter is actually relatively easy. Just get Jag filter and sump plug new from Jag, good grade oil from Halfords or somewhere (sometimes you get freebies for spending a certain amount, I got 2 screw driver kits last time!) and if you get to know your engine personally and become familiar it does help if noises or smells appear unexpectedly! We always give our own cars more personal attention than an impersonal garage ever could.
Ta
Spark plugs are about £13 each from main dealer, hence the huge price difference. You can get the exact same ones from a reputable motor factor at about £6 each.
I would recommend finding a good local independant garage, some may even allow you to be present to check the floor pan while on their ramps briefly, as well as being cheaper per hour and not adding stuff 'to do'.
Can't you tackle a simple service yourself? Just dropping the oil and changing the oil filter is actually relatively easy. Just get Jag filter and sump plug new from Jag, good grade oil from Halfords or somewhere (sometimes you get freebies for spending a certain amount, I got 2 screw driver kits last time!) and if you get to know your engine personally and become familiar it does help if noises or smells appear unexpectedly! We always give our own cars more personal attention than an impersonal garage ever could.
Ta
service?
thanks for replies all. The nearest specialist to me is 2 - 3 hr drive, but beginning to think it may be worthwhile. Thanks for the MOT tip Bleasie, never heard of this before, and they have only recently done the MOT!
I did check on the loyalty discount which they usually provide but on this occasion had not adjusted for, so 120k service = £430.
Never heard of the 10 year + discount either
Mine is 13 years old. What do they offer on this?
The free visual inspection and road test has highlighted yellow code on more work assessed at aprox. £900, mainly wishbone + bushes, rear shock bushes, roll bar link and suspension 'bump stop'. As I asked for a comprehensive inspection recently prior to a long journey I would have thought that these would have been apparent then (12 weeks ago), especially having paid £1,300.00 for new front subframe mounts, new upper wishbone bushes, new anti roll bar links etc.
I think your comments re: Dealers lack of interest in older Jags is correct, and must be better to use somebody who has an interest in these cars.
As the Del Shannon song, keep searching. (Yep I'm that old)
I did check on the loyalty discount which they usually provide but on this occasion had not adjusted for, so 120k service = £430.
Never heard of the 10 year + discount either
The free visual inspection and road test has highlighted yellow code on more work assessed at aprox. £900, mainly wishbone + bushes, rear shock bushes, roll bar link and suspension 'bump stop'. As I asked for a comprehensive inspection recently prior to a long journey I would have thought that these would have been apparent then (12 weeks ago), especially having paid £1,300.00 for new front subframe mounts, new upper wishbone bushes, new anti roll bar links etc.
I think your comments re: Dealers lack of interest in older Jags is correct, and must be better to use somebody who has an interest in these cars.
As the Del Shannon song, keep searching. (Yep I'm that old)
My thoughts are that using a smaller independent outfit is better because you will be dealing directly with the person who is actually working on your vehicle.
At the main dealers you are dealing in general with a receptionist and will rearely get to see the workshops or meet the person working on your car.
I have a picture in my mind that my 10 year old XK8 would be held in quite low esteem by the main dealer and they'd probably set the new apprentice on it !
I think the main dealers can get really carried away with quoting for work reqiuired and the experience of an independant is invaluable in terms of knowledge of the model in question and realistic outlook.
Hope you find somewhere good !
At the main dealers you are dealing in general with a receptionist and will rearely get to see the workshops or meet the person working on your car.
I have a picture in my mind that my 10 year old XK8 would be held in quite low esteem by the main dealer and they'd probably set the new apprentice on it !
I think the main dealers can get really carried away with quoting for work reqiuired and the experience of an independant is invaluable in terms of knowledge of the model in question and realistic outlook.
Hope you find somewhere good !
-
jackconcord
- Posts:8
- Joined:Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:49 pm
You're probably much better with an independent if you can find one .
I had my XK8 (8 years old) serviced by the local main dealer recently.
It failed an MOT one week later due to seriously worn front brake pads!!
They eventually admitted the mechanic hadn't even removed the wheels to check brakes/ steering etc + a number of other things which had been missed.
Never again!
I had my XK8 (8 years old) serviced by the local main dealer recently.
It failed an MOT one week later due to seriously worn front brake pads!!
They eventually admitted the mechanic hadn't even removed the wheels to check brakes/ steering etc + a number of other things which had been missed.
Never again!
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Re: Reducing Service Costs
I have a picture in my mind that my 10 year old XK8 would be held in quite low esteem by the main dealer and they'd probably set the new apprentice on it !
All I can say is in over 35 years of using "Jaguar Dealerships" I have never felt the way you do.
Each to his own.
I am on first name terms with The Dealer Principal, Steve in Parts, & Dave the Technician, who allways, gets asigned to my cars.
The cars get collected & delivered back having been valeted all at no extra cost.
My only complaint they do charge for disposal of Old Engine Oil.
I have the same excellent experience for nearly 10 years now with my supplying dealer (Guy Salmon in Coventry). They supplied both, my XK8 and my X-type and I have built up a very good relationship with them.
On my Jaguar Allegience Scheme I get 30% off labour rates and 10% of parts, FOC MOT and I alway supply my own oil to them. They also supply me with a Jaguar courtesy car if I want one (oftem I just wait).
I could go to my local large Jaguar Dealer in Leicester, but prefer to make a round-trip of 85miles to go to my dealer in Coventry. They look after me very well, particularly when I had to have a gearbox replacement on my all-wheel drive X-type following a breakdown on a trip in Germany a couple of years ago and also gave me a better price - by - far when I had my XK8 gearbox overhauled at 100,000miles. The other two quotes came from a well-known independant and a gearbox specialist.
I feel it has all to do with building a relationship and give them loyalty when they do the same with you. After all the work they did for me they know me quite well and also know they can't pull a fast one on me, which I am sure they wouldn't.
Anyway, as the man said, all to their own.
All I can say is in over 35 years of using "Jaguar Dealerships" I have never felt the way you do.
Each to his own.
I am on first name terms with The Dealer Principal, Steve in Parts, & Dave the Technician, who allways, gets asigned to my cars.
The cars get collected & delivered back having been valeted all at no extra cost.
My only complaint they do charge for disposal of Old Engine Oil.
I have the same excellent experience for nearly 10 years now with my supplying dealer (Guy Salmon in Coventry). They supplied both, my XK8 and my X-type and I have built up a very good relationship with them.
On my Jaguar Allegience Scheme I get 30% off labour rates and 10% of parts, FOC MOT and I alway supply my own oil to them. They also supply me with a Jaguar courtesy car if I want one (oftem I just wait).
I could go to my local large Jaguar Dealer in Leicester, but prefer to make a round-trip of 85miles to go to my dealer in Coventry. They look after me very well, particularly when I had to have a gearbox replacement on my all-wheel drive X-type following a breakdown on a trip in Germany a couple of years ago and also gave me a better price - by - far when I had my XK8 gearbox overhauled at 100,000miles. The other two quotes came from a well-known independant and a gearbox specialist.
I feel it has all to do with building a relationship and give them loyalty when they do the same with you. After all the work they did for me they know me quite well and also know they can't pull a fast one on me, which I am sure they wouldn't.
Anyway, as the man said, all to their own.
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Re: 120,000 service
Anyone going to Newby Hall on Sunday
Hi John ,
We met at last months classic night at The Jenny Wren , Susworth
My brother in law Colin owns the maroon Aston Vantage V8
I'll see you tomorrow , looking forward to seeing all your hard work
You can't miss mine
All the best ,
Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
-
deltasierra
- Posts:9
- Joined:Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:28 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
