Page 1 of 1
Rear Number plate space - abnormal shape?
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:12 pm
by MarkyM
My standard chrome surrounded number plate looks oddly small with a lot of bodywork being visible.
Wonder if it would benefit from a Rover 75 type number plate?
Anyone ever made this observation or is it just me?
Mark
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:46 pm
by mike020150

My car's rear plate is 20.5"x 4.75" and fills the surround reasonably well so I don't think it looks bad but there are lots of similar plate sizes, some slightly smaller. Why not make up a dummy plate in paper and big enough to fill the entire moulded depression in the boot lid to see what it looks like? Then, if you post a pic I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. Mike.
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 pm
by Nik
Hi Mark ,
I got mine custom made by A1plates via their website , I then sanded the bottom edge so that it fitted the "recess " exactly , the optional genuine Jaguar Chrome numberplate surround (it's actually polished stainless steel

) is designed for a deeper plate than a "standard " plate but if you look on A1's site you will find that they do a 5" high plate ,
Hopefully this helps ,
Nik
Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:09 am
by MarkyM
Nik
Thanks for this and glad to know it's just not my imagination!!
Do you have any pics of your rear end??
If so and they're not on the gallary could you email me one to
marktmorgan@yahoo.com
Regards
Mark
Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:27 am
by GrandTourer
Mark,
I did a similar modification as Nik on my plates, although, I had bought the Jaguar chrome plate holder. I have quite a few pics and will email some to you this afternoon - just going off to a tennis match so - not enough time just now

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:00 pm
by Nik
Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm
by MarkyM
All
Thank you so much, your time is greatly appreciated.
Mark
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 pm
by Jonathan3004
I removed the surround completly and fitted the rover round shaped one instead. I think it looks better! I dont have a pic but would be happy to take one if you want to see how it looks?? Regards Jon
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:37 pm
by ptjs1
There's a potential "advantage" in using a Rover-type plate insofar that it may not be recognised by some of the speed cameras.
The specs (average speed) cameras apparently use a programme which recognises number plates first of all by recognising the approximate shape and then uses character recognition routines. By not having a rectangular shape with defined corners, they apparently often don't recognise Rover estates number plates (or so my police colleague tells me!)
You could deliberately try it and tell us of the results.......
Paul