My standard chrome surrounded number plate looks oddly small with a lot of bodywork being visible.
Wonder if it would benefit from a Rover 75 type number plate?
Anyone ever made this observation or is it just me?
Mark
Rear Number plate space - abnormal shape?
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Hi Mark ,
I got mine custom made by A1plates via their website , I then sanded the bottom edge so that it fitted the "recess " exactly , the optional genuine Jaguar Chrome numberplate surround (it's actually polished stainless steel
) is designed for a deeper plate than a "standard " plate but if you look on A1's site you will find that they do a 5" high plate ,
Hopefully this helps ,
Nik
I got mine custom made by A1plates via their website , I then sanded the bottom edge so that it fitted the "recess " exactly , the optional genuine Jaguar Chrome numberplate surround (it's actually polished stainless steel
Hopefully this helps ,
Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
Nik
Thanks for this and glad to know it's just not my imagination!!
Do you have any pics of your rear end??
If so and they're not on the gallary could you email me one to marktmorgan@yahoo.com
Regards
Mark
Thanks for this and glad to know it's just not my imagination!!
Do you have any pics of your rear end??
If so and they're not on the gallary could you email me one to marktmorgan@yahoo.com
Regards
Mark
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Mark,
I did a similar modification as Nik on my plates, although, I had bought the Jaguar chrome plate holder. I have quite a few pics and will email some to you this afternoon - just going off to a tennis match so - not enough time just now
I did a similar modification as Nik on my plates, although, I had bought the Jaguar chrome plate holder. I have quite a few pics and will email some to you this afternoon - just going off to a tennis match so - not enough time just now
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Mark ,
Have found a couple of pics and emailed them to you
,
Best Wishes ,
Nik
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... CN2537.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... XKO009.jpg
Have found a couple of pics and emailed them to you
Best Wishes ,
Nik
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... CN2537.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... XKO009.jpg
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
-
Jonathan3004
- Posts:28
- Joined:Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:58 pm
There's a potential "advantage" in using a Rover-type plate insofar that it may not be recognised by some of the speed cameras.
The specs (average speed) cameras apparently use a programme which recognises number plates first of all by recognising the approximate shape and then uses character recognition routines. By not having a rectangular shape with defined corners, they apparently often don't recognise Rover estates number plates (or so my police colleague tells me!)
You could deliberately try it and tell us of the results.......
Paul
The specs (average speed) cameras apparently use a programme which recognises number plates first of all by recognising the approximate shape and then uses character recognition routines. By not having a rectangular shape with defined corners, they apparently often don't recognise Rover estates number plates (or so my police colleague tells me!)
You could deliberately try it and tell us of the results.......
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests