Extended Warranty - Advice Please!!!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm
Extended Warranty - Advice Please!!!

Postby D_Doran » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:22 pm

Looking from advice from all you guys in the know!

I have a 2002 XK8 which I've owned for 6 months now. The independent garage which I bought it from are offering me the option of purchasing an extension on the warranty which apparently covers all major mechanical and electrical components.

As I doubt it has had chains, tensioners, water pump, etc replaced, I am seriously considering going for this option. If one of these items fail, then I'll be getting it replaced through the warranty, and if it causes engine damage I would expect it replaced under the coverage also (still need to see the warranty in writing though!).

As I've had other minor electrical glitches in the damp conditions (TRAC/ASC/ABS and recent airbag warnings) I feel it may be a worthwhile investment at £1175 for 48 months coverage as that would be the cost of chains and tensioner replacements alone.

Any comments?

User avatar
Bassman
Posts:85
Joined:Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location:Addlestone, Surrey & Kerleit, Finistere

Postby Bassman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:51 pm

Yes you really need to check what it covers :wink: the standard 6month warranty I was offered when I bought mine didn't cover tensioners or water pumps, so I opted for the 2 year Gold Warranty extension at £715 which did cover such things.
The first time I needed to claim ( for the VVT unit) the warranty co. said it was wear and tear so wouldn't pay up :evil: luckily the service manager said he wasn't having that :D they had done the full chains and tensioners at the same time and I was only charged for the parts to do the chains and tensioners (£388)not the VVT or labour :D Then this year I had the water pump and thermostat done at my own cost anyway as a precaution as I spend a lot of time in France and didn't fancy having them go wrong over there...looks like I wasted my money on the warranty :lol: :lol:
Paul
[b]1998 XK8 Antigua Blue[/b]

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Have you tried talking to Graham Searle at JEC HQ about the club's warranty scheme? If nothing else it would provide a basis for comparisons. Mike.

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:28 pm

No, I haven't yet, but that's not a bad idea. Still considering the warranty idea, but also just toying with the idea of spending the money on the preventative chains and tensioners work for peace of mind.

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:38 pm

be very careful with warranties D ..I have had bad experiences with them in the past..the usual get out is that it is fair wear and tear..depends how good or trustworthy the insurance co. is..put £500 in a savings acc. and if nothing happens you've still got the money!!! :lol:
99 carnival red 18"flutes

edaffin
Posts:3
Joined:Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 pm
Location:Forest Row, E. Sx

Postby edaffin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:48 pm

A friend of mine bought an extended warranty from a garage and of course when he needed to claim they wouldn't pay up. He said it wasn't worth the paper it was written on so beware.

I bought a 3 yr jaguar extended factory warranty from a jag dealership where I bought my car (2004 xk8 conv) when the original warranty expired. Incidentally you also get European breakdown coverage included with it.

Had to claim within 2 weeks when an O2 sensor in the exhaust system failed - Wasn't counting on using the insurance so quickly but c'est la vie.

The service I got from Jag assist was outstanding. They sent a man out when it was convenient for me, arranged a quality loaner car and also would have transported my car to and from the dealership had I wanted (I opted to drive it there myself). The insurance was not cheap (approx 1000GBP/yr), but at least it appears that they honour the insurance/warranty contract so for me it is money well invested.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests