New Air filter fitted - Fantastic Results

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm
New Air filter fitted - Fantastic Results

Postby MarkyM » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:36 pm

I've never been happy with my Jaguar XP air filter I've had fitted for the last couple of years for two reasons:

1) It's an oiled type of filter (ala K&N) that's known to gum up your MAFS.

2) The rubber collar that connects to the MAFS is pretty rigid and unforgiving and it comes loose far too often leading to an irratic idle.

Today I've replaced it with an Apexi Dual Funnel universal filter using a 90mm-80mm (3.5"-3")straight reducing silicon hose and an 80mm adaptor flange. I managed to reuse the XP heat shield. So the total cost was around £70.

Took it for a drive and was amazed at the difference and the engine breaths much more easily and my X-pipe exhaust (MKI) seems to have a whole new ensemble of notes :O)

I appreciate that few on this list seem to be interested in getting lower ambient air/the best flow of air to their engines, however the Apexi scores highly in modding (I've used them before) both in its filtration capabilities and increased BHP...see link below:

www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Here's the Ebay seller I got mine from:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-APEXi-Power-I ... dZViewItem

No affiliation just happy with the results so thought I'd share :O)

Regards

Mark
PS: Will try and post a pic in the gallery tomorrow

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:25 am

Pic of intake now on gallery (2nd page - MarkyM's LPG converted XK8)

Regs

M

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:13 am

More good pics. Mike. :D

MyQuest

Member
Posts:141
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am
Location:Amesbury UK

Air filter

Postby MyQuest » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:24 am

MarkyM.

I've only just found your pics - doh...

I - and I'm sure others, are very interested in the air filter conversion. Good stuff.

However, with warmer air now being drawn from the engine compartment rather than under the car, there must be a slight loss of efficiency due to higher ambient temperature. With this in mind, would the Apexi unit fit into the original filter box?

MQ

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:25 am

I have not tried, although I still have the original filter box so might be worthwhile trying.

My long term goal is to try to reside the filter itself in the wheel well...but that might be left until next summer.

Appreciate here that all aftermarket filters I've seen for our cars are of a similar set-up...the difference with the apexi is that is is simply (IMO) the best aftermarket filter out there so a decent starting point.

Regards

Mark

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 pm

I meant 'resite in the wheel arch'

:(

M

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Mark, my technical knowledge isn't the greatest, but would the filter not be more likely to get gunged up if it is in the wheel arch, and hence give less throughput of air? :?:

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I don't think so since the wheel arch liner would be over the top...I guess the only way to say for sure would be to look behind the arch liner and see how much crud is there. I can't imagine there's that much but will report when I do the job (which involves removing the wheel so not until the weather improves next year methinks.

I estimate that the air will be around 40 degrees C cooler which would have to benefit performance.

Based on the fact that my car when purchased had FJSH the airbox was pretty filthy and the plastic intake pipe (that runs from the MAFS to the TB took an hour to get all of the oily grunge out of it...so there's just no telling

:o


Mark

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:53 pm

interesting reading guys as I am am thinking of modifying the intake system myself. I have been offered an XP filter which had been on an S type but the guy was.nt happy with it! I have had very good results in the past with other cars by fitting K&N filters..the last quite recently on a honda. It is replacement filter fitting into the original air box. I also rerouted the intake air from under the bumper doing away with the existing which drew air from behind the radiator!! ! also insulated the plastic tube which runs to the induction manifold..made a big difference. I do think you need to draw in cold air from outside rather than under the bonnet
99 carnival red 18"flutes

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:34 pm

Bing

My point was the XP filter is a K&N clone so it's never going to give you the same performance enhancements as I'm sure XP don't have the R&D as K&N and purchase the filter at lowest cost.

Don't get me wrong as I've used K&N in previous performance cars and there is a discernable difference. Whether it is just in sound remains to be seen as I only recorded an extra 2BHP on the dyno at Nobles with my supercharged MX-5 and a K&N cone, I then switched to an Apexi dual funnel cone (whilst there) and it ran at an additional 7BHP. so from personal experience, albit limited, the apexi would seem to be 3 x as effective.

Admittedly on that car i had done away with the restrictive AFM as I moved up to a modified ECU and a MAP sensor which meant I could throw anything at it (e.g headwork, racing fuel etc.) .

No such product available for our cars though and jags do tend to be a little fussy to oiled filters (which the K&N and XP are) but the Apexi is oil free so no problems there...and it filters better.

I have modified the stock airbox (with a heat gun since I have LPG gubbins in the way now) and I should get it to fit by this weekend.

Regards

Mark

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 pm

yea good thanks Mark I'll be on the search for one like yours. Just noticed on the pic of the rear of your car that the tail pipes sit a little low..are those the club's replacement pipes? If so the pipes may be fitted the wrong way round as they are handed..I posted something about this a few weeks ago having recentlt fitted these pipes myself.
99 carnival red 18"flutes

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks Bing

No these are McLeod X-Pipes (straight through and no curves over the rear axle) this means they allow the big cat to breath and also allow performance enhancements (e.g. ECU and intake) to be more meaningful since the OEM zaust is a known bottleneck.

They are defo on the right way around but are made for later models with a lower bumper valance. No problems for me since I'll be fitting an 05 rear bumper next year.

As to the filter itself you can buy the filter and adaptor are listed as item 130161886937 on ebay with the reducer hose as item 140007319186

So the lot for £70 inc delivery, takes about 10 mins to fit but you will need to fashion a support bracket for the MAFS which fits on the furthest support thread of the shock tower.

Regards

Mark

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm

thanks mark i'll have a look for that . in the pic is that the original ducting from the filter to the induction /air flow meter and can you get a s/s or alloy ducting with the filter? Also looking at my std set up there is a sensor just behind where your blue adapter sits..is this still on yours and what exactly does it do?...alwyn..(bing will do)
99 carnival red 18"flutes

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 am

Yep original everything as far as the MAFS and then the newly purchased blue reducer connected to the adaptor flange connected to the Apexi filter.

Remember the bue reducer is just that 90mm at one end and 80mm at the other. Therefore a metal reducer just wouldn't be flexible enough to squeeze over the MAFS.

In an ideal world the intake pipe that runs backwards from the MAFS to the Throttle body should be smoothed metal as to increase air flow. I've never seen one and I think we just need to make do with the plastic one.

However a good idea is to clean out that pipe (mine was filthy) along wth your TB at the same time.

Regards

M

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi Mark me again..have ordered an APEXi thro ebay although the site you gave me had ended that product..found another £28 + £10 cariage ..does that sound about right?..well pleased with myself as I hav,nt used ebay before!!bit old fashioned me. The reducer I have located on the same site you used..about £28 I think and runs till 28th..can you wait and bid a lesser amount and hope there are still some left. Looking at your set up it should draw cool air thro the original ducting..could put an air scoop on the bonnet...ah should'nt have said that..sorry ..sacrilege... :oops: but have you noticed the racing xj40 chausseur its got scoops down at the front of the bonnet :!:
99 carnival red 18"flutes


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests