Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

innescj267
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby innescj267 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Members...hello from a newbie!
I’m about to fulfill an ambition of mine and buy either an XK8 or XK...but...I’m in no way mechanicall minded and wondered if anyone can offer advice?
What to buy?, what to look out for?, pros and cons really.
I’m wary of buying a “lemon” without any help.
I’m hoping that some experienced owners can give me some advice.
Regards

Campbell

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby JimMann » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Campbell,

As always, the rule is to buy the best you can afford, not just to purchase but to run. The newer XK (X-150) models are absolutely brilliant, but the aficionados of the XK8 will tell you that a late model X-100 model (1996 to 2006) is the sweeter option.

There is a superb book written on the XK / XK8 by Nigel Thorley, the editor of the JE Magazine and in there is all the information you are going to need to make an informed decision. Use your normal search engine for 'XK books by Nigel Thorley' and browse what comes up.

A few starting points are to decide on what you consider "must have" in the specification details, e.g. colour, coupe v convertible, engine size (4.0, 4.2 or 5.0), naturally aspirated or supercharged (XKR). All of the XK / XK8 models are truly well appointed, with alloy wheels, air conditioning - in some models this extends to cooled seats, cruise control - active in some models, DAB, etc.

You could also do worse than read some of the back issue magazines, (the Modern XK column) where there are numerous stories from owners to help your thought process. There are articles from people searching out the right vehicle, there are articles on corrosion on both the X-100 and X-150, just because the newer model has aluminium architecture does not make it corrosion resistant.

You should also go along to your local Regional Meetings and talk with the members who currently drive / own the XK8 / XK models. Once you have more insight into what you want the car to be, then you can come back to me / others and get an opinion. In these days of digital adverts, it is simple to send a link for someone to peruse the car online. If you are still hesitating about making a commitment, then you can have someone from the Club look over the car (inspect) on your behalf.

As a starting point for now, peruse the Classifieds section of the JEC website. The XK8 is the X-100 model, 1996 to 2006 and the XK is the X-150 model, 2006 to 2014. Note that the end dates are for year of manufacture, it is possible to find cars that were not registered until later, e.g. a 2014 build, registered 2015!

You can reach me through the email address in the modern XK column of the Magazine, but I hope this gives you a starting point.

Best Regards

Jim M
Jim Mann
Banchory

innescj267
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby innescj267 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks for that Jim
So kind. I’ll do what you suggest.
Hopefully, I’ll soon post my new purchase.

I’ll let you know how I get on

Kindest regards

Campbell

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby jeff1954 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi Campbell I have been looking on and off for a 2004 onwards XK8 for quite some time now. The problem is rust that puts me off. I have a MOT App on my phone and when I see one that I like ( year/owners/colour etc) then check the MOT history there's always advisory's on rust which puts me off. As said in the other post the XK (150) is a better bet as it has an aluminum body, so I'm going down that rout now. Get one of those App's I mentioned there a must when buying any second hand vehicle.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

ron.thomas
Posts:13
Joined:Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby ron.thomas » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:31 am

Hi Campbell
I realize that I may be to late to influence your choice but in 2012 I purchased a 2006 xk8 4.2S and kept it for 3 years and more recently I purchased a 2006 XK. Both cars are mechanically very sound but the alloy body work on the XK is much superior. I could go into much more detail but you may already have made your purchase but if you have not give me a call 075146100143 and I will relay my experience.
Regards Ron

londondaz804

Member
Posts:11
Joined:Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby londondaz804 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:36 am

Interesting post, though I would tag on this post rather than create another.

Looking at getting an xk8 or xkr but the x100 version, convertible, will only be for weekend and also to hide away as a future classic. Knowing me will end up driving it more than i anticipate, hearing her calling me 'drive me, drive me', bit like my other jag :) Anyway, prices seem to really vary and they dont seem to have any link to condition or milage half the time, is there a reason for this?

Key question if locking away in the main for the future, any combination, limited editions, options I should really look out for?

Live in Leeds, not been to a jaguar meet yet, but need to get my backside to one soon.

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby JimMann » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 am

Hi London, the X-100 is a great piece of engineering but with the youngest vehicle in the range now at least 14 years old, the quality and condition of any X-100 needs to be looked at in detail - they do have rust catchment areas. Some of the 'limited editions' were dealer specific, like Stratsone, plus there are the Silverstone models and also the XKR 400 models (only 100 of those were created). As I mentioned in the earlier post, you can do worse than get hold of the books from Nigel Thorley, who lays out the X-100 in great detail.
As to future classic, the prices of a good X-100 is possibly already on the rise, but they will never become stratospheric - simply too many of them around. My advice is, as before, buy the best you can afford to both purchase and run. And then use it, but if you get a good one and look after it, any price fall should be minimal over time and you will get a lot of enjoyment.

Regards Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

londondaz804

Member
Posts:11
Joined:Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby londondaz804 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks Jim, really helpful will look to get hold of the book you mention.

What colour do you think it looks best in?

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby JimMann » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm

My preference is always for a blue, with a light coloured interior, but the reds are good too!
Jim
Jim Mann
Banchory

aaj

Moderator
Posts:177
Joined:Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby aaj » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi London
For the X100, the book you should try and get is “You & Your Jaguar XK8”, written by Nigel Thorley & published by Haynes (by far the best I’ve seen). It was first published in March 2006 and has a later reprint with additional information incorporated into it. The X100 was updated numerous times during its production run, all suffer from the Widows losing their memory of travel limits & window drops approx 1 inch each time the door handle is used when the battery gets only slightly discharged (re-programming is quick & easy) and the instrument panel lighting up like a Christmas tree when the battery gets a little more discharged – most of the Warning Lights would clear after a few re-starts as the self diagnostic system sorts itself out but take care not to ignore RED Warnings or those associated with Safety. Probably the most sort after X100’s are the outgoing 4.2-S models (VIN A45289 – A48684), these had the most options included as standard but the shape is not to the taste of some. You will find that lighter coloured seats in the Coupe makes the inside of the car feel less claustrophobic. Most of the ‘Special Editions’ are ‘badge engineering’ with the exception of the Silverstone SE which had improved Suspension & Brake components. 4.0l Engines built from 13th August 2001 (VIN A24196) had the 4.2l Timing Chains & Tensioners, any XK prior to this need to be checked for Tensioner replacement (lots of info on this on Forum & in Club Magazine). The Club has a Vehicle Inspection Scheme, I’m not sure it is currently running – check with James or Graham at Bristol Office if you are interested in this Service.
Good Luck with your hunt
AllanJ
XK8 Registrar
2016 F-Type British Design Edition AWD; 1972 650 Triton

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby mike020150 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 am

Just to confirm that the club does still have an inspection scheme (details from the Bristol office) and that the club also sells quite a few Jaguar books including those by Nigel Thorley. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

londondaz804

Member
Posts:11
Joined:Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby londondaz804 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am

Thanks, funny enough read that in the book, have a copy now. Really good book, lots of things to consider :D

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: Help!...buying XK8 or XK

Postby DougX » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi Cambell, Personally I would go for the XK8/R (X100 model), provided; 1. It has Service History, 2. Low mileage for year, 3. Definitely a XK8/R Jaguar Enthusiast or JDC Member's car (who generally look after them), 4. The car is garaged when not in use, 5. MOT history, 6. All paperwork for works undertaken on the car.
That is what I have with mine and although 15 years old, no expense has been spared and there is no rust in any places. The floor pans were replaced properly some 3 years ago, then Dinitrol'ed the whole underside of the car after being cleaned. The benefit will be that it will definitely increase in value as time goes by, if you continue to look after it. Mine cost me £14.5k, 7 years ago and has a guaranteed value for insurance purposes of £15k. May have to increase this!!! One thing I would mention is that when I went looking for mine, I didn't want either black, silver, grey or light blue as they were very common. Go for any other colour, such as Ultraviolet, Seafrost, Phoenix Red, Quartz, to name a few. Also, I would never buy one with a black interior, as to me it looks to dark. Go for lighter leather as it will be more appealing when deciding to sell. However, if the value is not an important factor, then I would suggest looking at a XK8/R (X150 model). Hope this helps!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests