car covers again!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

VinylFan
Posts:42
Joined:Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:13 pm
car covers again!

Postby VinylFan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pm

I have read the posts on here about car covers and not using them. When I read them a while ago it stopped me from buying one and to be honest I was glad at the time as I would rather not have used one.

But (theres always a but) my garage isnt big enough and the car lives outside in all weathers. I have never had a problem with rust on any other vehicle however after last years winter snow, rain and hail and this summers downpours it has made an appearance.
With more bad weather forecast for this winter I am torn between getting a cover (and just use it for the really bad weather) or leaving it to get another battering from the elements.

A carcoon is no use so that leaves me with a car cover

Has anyone used one successfully for their XK8? If so what brand?

I would only be using it for the really bad weather and would remove it ASAP to let the car breathe again

Many thanks as always

Pat

P.s Thought about moving house :lol:

RMA37
Posts:60
Joined:Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am

Re: car covers again!

Postby RMA37 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 am

I scanned the forum for info on car covers and most refer to exterior covers. I'm looking for a lightweight interior cover and have found one called Dust-Pro from a company called 'Every Car Covered. Does anyone have experience of this cover or company? I haven't had my XK8 long but I'm getting fed up with dusting it! Surprising how much dust can enter a new garage!

FrankC
Posts:72
Joined:Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

Re: car covers again!

Postby FrankC » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:29 am


VinylFan
Posts:42
Joined:Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: car covers again!

Postby VinylFan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi Frank

Many thanks for the links, it is very much appreciated.

I sent off for some of the fabric ages ago from at least 4 different suppliers. Because of the negative posts about car covers I' ummed and aaghhed ' and did nowt. I thought I had thrown them away. However I have found 2. The one in your thread and one from Classic Additions which feels very much like Teflon. It also slides like it.

I remember a very long conversation with 2 people at Classic Additions where it came from and they were extremely helpful and recommended one about £190 (at the time) but it didn't have pockets which I really wanted. If my memory serves me right the next up with pockets was in the £500 region which was waaayyyyyy beyond my means.

In comparison the 2 fabrics I have are like chalk and cheese. One soft and slinky and one not. The other 2 I remember were very similar to the one in the thread. 4 layer.

As it stands I still haven't got anything to cover my XK and it's throwing it down with just about everything at the moment. Rain, snow, hail it's all coming down!

Apart from the downside of really having to wash the car before putting a cover on which is awkward if I get home at night and it's dirty and soaked (daily driver at moment as I am looking for something else) has anyone found a cover they can recommend for an x100 XK8?

(Have a garage but car will not go in)

Many thanks for any help

Kind regards

Si

FrankC
Posts:72
Joined:Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

Re: car covers again!

Postby FrankC » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 pm

I was in the same situation as yourself.

The thing is you do not have to put your cover on each time. I went to a Sunday Lunch do with a Jag Club. The previous night, and days, it had been chucking it down. That morning however the sun was briefly out. Off came the cover and it looked like it had just been washed. On the way home though it chucked it down and I left the cover off for a few days. Now its back on and I am glad it is! Horrid out there now.

The other thing to consider is the damage birds, grit, dirt, and even the sun can do to your exposed car. A few days of leaving bird droppings on your car can eat through the paintwork.

So dont worry about religiously covering the car each time. You will find your own way of quickly putting it on/taking it off. From my standpoint I remove the cover and then just give it a quick spray with cleaner/wax spray and it comes up fantastic, a lazy mans way of maintaining my cars bodywork. Will see if I can find a 'just taken the cover off' photo.

Overall I am glad I got the cover. My garage, like yours, is full of everything but cars.

Here you go. Cover removed after about a week of downpours. See how good it is underneath? Ground still wet.

Image


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests