I was trying not to be overtly racist!
Luckily the average VW driver seems to be better behaved,
Although if you check out the traffic in the fast lane it is generally Teutonic in makeup.
Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
I agree with signalling correctly "just in case" there was someone that you didn't see. However, my bugbear for some time now is with people who signal wrongly at roundabouts - especially mini roundabouts. They signal right to go straight on! Meanwhile I've come to a stop in order to give way and they sail straight on - very annoying. I've even followed a driving school car, with pupil, do this more than once (WHAT!!!)
More concerning lately is that some people now seem to be signalling left when they are going straight at a roundabout with a left exit but no right exit. If you are waiting at the left exit this can easily cause an accident if you believe them and pull out, and you would be at fault. Always treat other peoples signals with maximum caution!
More concerning lately is that some people now seem to be signalling left when they are going straight at a roundabout with a left exit but no right exit. If you are waiting at the left exit this can easily cause an accident if you believe them and pull out, and you would be at fault. Always treat other peoples signals with maximum caution!
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
I passed my IAM test also in my 20’s. I’m 50 now. I’ve always used that additional knowledge whilst driving, whether it’s my 80bhp Ford Fiesta or the 400bhp s type r. Experience over the years helps so just keeping my comments to myself now until my daughter eventually passes her drivers test .I took the Advanced driving test about 40 years ago and whilst there were many excellent points about training for that test which I use every day, there were also some I didn't agree with. One of them was about signaling. I indicated for something or other and my instructor (ex-copper - moustache, a gallon of after shave etc) causally looked around and asked who was I signaling to? There's nobody there he said. (possible 40 years ago but highly unlikely nowadays!) So, I replied that what harm could it do? There maybe somebody I had not taken account of.
The same guy criticised me because I changed from third to fourth gear whilst overtaking a car on a national speed limit road.
I asked what was wrong with that? He said it meant I had to take one hand off the wheel and also if the gears didn't engage I would be stranded on the wrong side of the road.
I replied that in my eyes neither of those things was a likely problem,but hitting the rev limit of the car by staying too long in third would mean I would be on the wrong side of the road doing the overtake far longer than necessary which would be much riskier.
I think because I was in my late 20's the instructor thought I was cocky and marked me down.
So, I am not surprised about what your daughter said!
-
andrew.graham97934

- Posts:107
- Joined:Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
I agree about the IAM test. There are many things that I learned on that course that I use every day - road positioning, looking well ahead etc. The list is big. But there were some things that perhaps have changed now, but at the time seemed to be based around 1950's and 60's car technology so not really relevant (like the gearbox issue I mentioned). Maybe I am wrong.
My bugbear at roundabouts is people who can't be bothered to signal at all. Roundabouts work superbly when everybody signals because it speeds up the flow.
My bugbear at roundabouts is people who can't be bothered to signal at all. Roundabouts work superbly when everybody signals because it speeds up the flow.
-
andrew.graham97934

- Posts:107
- Joined:Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
I think we have no hope!
I just had to give a short tap on the horn to ask a learner driver in a driving school car to move up a bit so I could squeeze past.
She was parked at an angle and bang opposite a parked car, whilst they had a conversation.
I did wait a while hoping that at least the instructor would notice I was there but - no.
Is safe and considerate parking not in the course anymore?
I just had to give a short tap on the horn to ask a learner driver in a driving school car to move up a bit so I could squeeze past.
She was parked at an angle and bang opposite a parked car, whilst they had a conversation.
I did wait a while hoping that at least the instructor would notice I was there but - no.
Is safe and considerate parking not in the course anymore?
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
Hello Folks
I see reference in the comments about German cars BMW's in particular about turn indicators, you all do realize that turn indicators or trafficators as we know, are extras on all these cars. They come as standard, unusually , on BMW Minis , only because most of those on the road currently are assembled in Oxford.
They will be an extra when assembly moves to China no doubt.
Dave
I see reference in the comments about German cars BMW's in particular about turn indicators, you all do realize that turn indicators or trafficators as we know, are extras on all these cars. They come as standard, unusually , on BMW Minis , only because most of those on the road currently are assembled in Oxford.
They will be an extra when assembly moves to China no doubt.
Dave
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
You're right Andrew, I am a very careful driver now. Its extraordinary how the "Oselli" name has lived on through thick and thin. We were very prone to failure every time the country went into recession when motor sport budgets were first to get the chop. I will never forget the 1973 fuel crisis/recession right after building a brand new factory and spending far too much money on lots of lovely machinery. Every time I expanded a recession followed. It gave me quite a complexSounds like you did well DaveO! Apart from the financial hit and the stress, overall it will have done you good.
I remember Osselli. I think my older Brother was lusting after some of your conversion parts back in the 70's
Andrew
XKR 2004 Coupe' in BRG, Ivory leather and traditional Jaguar walnut dash. Super bodily condition and window seals recently attended. Mechanically work completed with front sub-frame mounts and ball joints, suspension overhaul, AC renewal.
-
andrew.graham97934

- Posts:107
- Joined:Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
It is an interesting subject - how some names manage to endure even with no publicity.
You should be proud of what you achieved in what were very difficult times.
My son has his own car parts related business and he said to me the other day it is almost like somebody is actively trying to make life as difficult as possible, and he is doing well thank God. There are so many hurdles in the way.
You should be proud of what you achieved in what were very difficult times.
My son has his own car parts related business and he said to me the other day it is almost like somebody is actively trying to make life as difficult as possible, and he is doing well thank God. There are so many hurdles in the way.
- 3.8etypephil

- Posts:238
- Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
- Location:Watton & Budapest.
- Contact:
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
I well remember Oselli Engineering from my youth; one of the most successful tuners of the time. Many were less so, one unkindly (perhaps unfairly) being nicknamed "C***up Impairments".You're right Andrew, I am a very careful driver now. Its extraordinary how the "Oselli" name has lived on through thick and thin. We were very prone to failure every time the country went into recession when motor sport budgets were first to get the chop. I will never forget the 1973 fuel crisis/recession right after building a brand new factory and spending far too much money on lots of lovely machinery. Every time I expanded a recession followed. It gave me quite a complexSounds like you did well DaveO! Apart from the financial hit and the stress, overall it will have done you good.
I remember Osselli. I think my older Brother was lusting after some of your conversion parts back in the 70's
Andrew![]()
Phil
2013 XFR
2008 XJR
2013 XFR
2008 XJR
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
Thanks for your kind words etype. I can't imagine who was behind "C***up ImpairmentsI well remember Oselli Engineering from my youth; one of the most successful tuners of the time. Many were less so, one unkindly (perhaps unfairly) being nicknamed "C***up Impairments".You're right Andrew, I am a very careful driver now. Its extraordinary how the "Oselli" name has lived on through thick and thin. We were very prone to failure every time the country went into recession when motor sport budgets were first to get the chop. I will never forget the 1973 fuel crisis/recession right after building a brand new factory and spending far too much money on lots of lovely machinery. Every time I expanded a recession followed. It gave me quite a complexSounds like you did well DaveO! Apart from the financial hit and the stress, overall it will have done you good.
I remember Osselli. I think my older Brother was lusting after some of your conversion parts back in the 70's
Andrew![]()
R.I.P Keith.
XKR 2004 Coupe' in BRG, Ivory leather and traditional Jaguar walnut dash. Super bodily condition and window seals recently attended. Mechanically work completed with front sub-frame mounts and ball joints, suspension overhaul, AC renewal.
-
andrew.graham97934

- Posts:107
- Joined:Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
Yes I remember Ripspeed too!
There were some great characters in motor sport in that era.
There were some great characters in motor sport in that era.
Re: Can nobody keep to their side of the road these days?!
Ain’t that the truth?! I think the “indicators” box must be the least ticked “option” on krautwagen order forms!!
Cheers
Si
Cheers
Si
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests