well I'd had enough of pouring money into my 1996 XK8, it showed little appreciation (in return or financially) and never sure if it would return from a long run on the road or a trailer. Get a Mercedes was the advice, they don't let you down and great to drive. So I did. A 2008 SL500 (amg) which was like a breath of fresh air, fabulous drive and so comfortable. But could I part with my XK8! unfortunately not. Of the two cars the XK8 still looks better, and when it is running reliably it is still like sitting in a slice of old English sports heritage (but modernised).
So I still have the car and still have the problems - a roundabout way of asking if anybody knows of a company near Cornwall who can repair the ABS module which seems to be a problem as the warning light for ABS/Traction control is on all the time now. Has anybody ever had this and turned out to be a mechanical fault rather than the (now unobtainable) module? The battery is 18 months old and a Jaguar unit so don't think it will be this. I suppose a unit from a breaker would just slot in if the correct year?
new car/old XK8/old problems
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
While there are many things that could be the cause of your ABS light, if you have reason to believe it's the module, rather than, say, a wheel speed sensor, a common problem is the state of the soldered connections inside the ABS module. Fear not as this is an easy diy repair if you can re-solder!
This link shows you how to do it
http://www.jagrepair.com/JaguarABSUnitRemoval.htm
The two large soldered connections on either side of the black hole are the ones that often go 'dry' and just need to be re-heated.
This link shows you how to do it
http://www.jagrepair.com/JaguarABSUnitRemoval.htm
The two large soldered connections on either side of the black hole are the ones that often go 'dry' and just need to be re-heated.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
I had this problem some time back. I changed all of the wheel speed sensors, but to no avail. The only way to ascertain the problem was to get my local Jaguar service centre to plug their code reader into it (the cheapo readers that can be bought on ebay, won't detect ABS problems). Their reader defined the problem, which was the ABS module, which they sent away for repair - problem solved.
Rog
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional, so live each day like it's your last 'cos one day, it will be
Anthracite 2001 XKR coupé with lots of bling
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional, so live each day like it's your last 'cos one day, it will be
Anthracite 2001 XKR coupé with lots of bling
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
many thanks astromorg and X200ROG, at least it seems these things are repairable. Guess I will have to visit the local main dealer to get an accurate diagnosis.
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
A local Jaguar Independent would be just as able to read the codes, but at a much more competitive price! If your lucky, a local JEC member may have a suitable scanner; plenty us do - I've got one but unfortunately Hampshire's a bit far away from Cornwall.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Boards supporting VAG cars in both US/Canada and the UK have a locate your nearest "volunteer" diagnostic
holder. I used to do this and go out to dealers too that wanted a diagnostic print out via the independently made
diagnostic equipment VCDS (Vag Com Diagnostic System) that runs on a laptop. The charge varies from £30 at VAG indie shops down to nowt from some enthusiasts. Some have it also in their signature line
https://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=1163737
Just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the JEC to at least offer a list of those of us who will offer this service, some contact details, equipment available, etc.
Guess it's the same-ish charges for VAG service centres as Jaguar -- minimum one hour, you'll have to book it in sir, +VAT -- difference may be that if a VW service centre does the work identified by their shop equipment (online to the mothership in Germany VAS diagnostic) they don't charge for it.
holder. I used to do this and go out to dealers too that wanted a diagnostic print out via the independently made
diagnostic equipment VCDS (Vag Com Diagnostic System) that runs on a laptop. The charge varies from £30 at VAG indie shops down to nowt from some enthusiasts. Some have it also in their signature line
https://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=1163737
Just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the JEC to at least offer a list of those of us who will offer this service, some contact details, equipment available, etc.
Guess it's the same-ish charges for VAG service centres as Jaguar -- minimum one hour, you'll have to book it in sir, +VAT -- difference may be that if a VW service centre does the work identified by their shop equipment (online to the mothership in Germany VAS diagnostic) they don't charge for it.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Diagnostic gear is relatively cheap and easily available to all.
For our applications, the iCarsoft 930i can be had for around £90 or the Android, Torque Pro, ELM327 combination for around £15. Both units are almost essential bits of kit in anyone`s tool box. In my opinion, owning one or both of these units makes for quick personal diagnostics and correction without the nause and hassle of involving others. When things go wrong, then personal ownership of suitable kit for immediate use, is the way to go.
Mike
For our applications, the iCarsoft 930i can be had for around £90 or the Android, Torque Pro, ELM327 combination for around £15. Both units are almost essential bits of kit in anyone`s tool box. In my opinion, owning one or both of these units makes for quick personal diagnostics and correction without the nause and hassle of involving others. When things go wrong, then personal ownership of suitable kit for immediate use, is the way to go.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Many thanks all, for the advice. I have seen from the forums there are many people out there who will be confident and competent to take on all manner of work on these complex cars. Unfortunately I am not so mobile now following an accident and also fast approaching 70. I much admire the talents of those who take the DIY route (successfully) but electrickery is not my favorite pastime. Where I live in Cornwall is some distance from specialist Jaguar outfits (bar one who is not too keen to get involved with electrics) and I suppose just as well there is a jaguar main dealer in Truro. So I usually just bite the bullet on these issues and pay.
It does seem at least that they can send the unit away for repair if necessary so the fact that new units are no longer available is no great loss, especially at £1800.00 which I believe used to be the going rate! The good news I suppose is that despite all the problems with this car, I still can't bring myself to part with it. Perhaps prospective owners should be warned that you don't just own an XK8, you marry it. (My God did I just say that - maybe it's 80 this year!)
It does seem at least that they can send the unit away for repair if necessary so the fact that new units are no longer available is no great loss, especially at £1800.00 which I believe used to be the going rate! The good news I suppose is that despite all the problems with this car, I still can't bring myself to part with it. Perhaps prospective owners should be warned that you don't just own an XK8, you marry it. (My God did I just say that - maybe it's 80 this year!)
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
This was the company that repaired mine, but it would have to be removed and sent to them, but it may be of interest to an independent engineer. They could remove the module and pump and send it to them for repair:- http://www.actronics.eu/en/shop/jaguar- ... bs-ecu-en/
Rog
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional, so live each day like it's your last 'cos one day, it will be
Anthracite 2001 XKR coupé with lots of bling
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional, so live each day like it's your last 'cos one day, it will be
Anthracite 2001 XKR coupé with lots of bling
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Not sure where in Cornwall you are, just over the border near Okehampton is James Tennant who now has a Jaguar mechanic.
Just make sure you get a quote before he carries out the work, I got stung when he changed my g/b oil and filter!
Just make sure you get a quote before he carries out the work, I got stung when he changed my g/b oil and filter!
1999 XK8 Coupe
2009 LR D3
Both make me smile
2009 LR D3
Both make me smile
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Thanks Wombat, although if they are prone to sting on price if they can I reckon I can get stung much closer to home. About 1.5 hrs at best from the Lizard so petrol costs would make main dealer not such a bad choice. Will have to make some inquiries this week.
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
well I have moved on this about as far as Brexit, not driving the Jag so much now but as the MOT is due in September thought I might spend a couple of enjoyable hours trying to repair the abs module myself. What could possibly go wrong? To be on the safe side also thought it better to obtain a second hand unit and repair this then just swap over. Two questions before I do - does anybody have the correct part No. for an ABS pump/module on a 1996 XK8, and what happens when the unit is removed for repair (apart from putting plasters on the knuckles), Does it leak brake fluid or 'dormant' until functioning? The U tube video is great for guidance on how to do this so here goes.
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Disconnect battery first, of course
Let us know how you get on?
Let us know how you get on?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Hi RichardSEL,
well that's something I may have overlooked - if fitted successfully do these units need programming again or do they just fire up? (seem to remember reading somewhere that they are not 'programmed')
well that's something I may have overlooked - if fitted successfully do these units need programming again or do they just fire up? (seem to remember reading somewhere that they are not 'programmed')
Re: new car/old XK8/old problems
Hi Painter,
I take it you have cleaned each wheel sensor to eliminate them from the fault only you haven't actually said you have done this.
The module does not need to be programmed just plug and play as they say.
Good luck and take care.
Andy
I take it you have cleaned each wheel sensor to eliminate them from the fault only you haven't actually said you have done this.
The module does not need to be programmed just plug and play as they say.
Good luck and take care.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

