Gilding the Lily
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Having recently bought a Silver '98 XK8 Coupe, I have noticed that newer models have chrome trimmed rear lights, which finish the back end off rather nicely.Also, in the magazines, I noticed chrome trim rings for the instruments, at quite a price.
On a trip to Halfords to find door-edge guards (which I dislike, but park in a tight spot), I came across some very smart adhesive -backed chrome trim,on a 3-metre strip, 7.5mm wide, for £9.99.
I bought two packs, and carefully cut and applied the trim to all the above.
It looks very good, though the complex curves around the back lights were a challenge to the 3-M sticky back.I solved this by drilling a tiny hole, and fixing it in place with a small stainless pin, et voila!
To finish off, I used a piece around the J-gate, slowly and carefully following the curves, and I doubt if anyone would know it wasn't original fitting!
Allways cautious about "improving" original designs, I'm happy with the results, and with a new pair of plates, the car looks stunning.
If I can battle with the computer,I'll try to add a few photos, but if they don't appear, I can E-mail direct if requested.
P.S. I do not work for Halford's, or even care for the place!
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Hi Briggal1,
As a fellow 'CAT' lover may I welcome you to the XK8 forum, I am a new member to the Forum myself and find it to be a great place for learning all about our cars. If you have time, have a scroll through all the different topics and read of other members problems and how they have been helped by fellow members, it really is good to know where you can get some good, trusted advice when you need it.
I recently fitted some instrument rings and a polished metal 'J Gate' surround to my 'CAT' (2001 XK8 Coupe, pictures in the gallery). I paid £60 for 6 rings and £80 for the surround, alot cheaper than getting them from Jaguar. I do think that they slightly improve the feel of the cabin, but it is hard to improve on perfection, then again, each to his own
I would love to see your pictures, as you have obviously paid much less than me, please email them to me. If you are having problems uploading them, perhaps I could upload them on your behalf
Let me know.
I am sure you will enjoy your new car, I am on my 2nd XK and I still drive with a smile on my face every time I get into her
regards,
Glenn
As a fellow 'CAT' lover may I welcome you to the XK8 forum, I am a new member to the Forum myself and find it to be a great place for learning all about our cars. If you have time, have a scroll through all the different topics and read of other members problems and how they have been helped by fellow members, it really is good to know where you can get some good, trusted advice when you need it.
I recently fitted some instrument rings and a polished metal 'J Gate' surround to my 'CAT' (2001 XK8 Coupe, pictures in the gallery). I paid £60 for 6 rings and £80 for the surround, alot cheaper than getting them from Jaguar. I do think that they slightly improve the feel of the cabin, but it is hard to improve on perfection, then again, each to his own
I would love to see your pictures, as you have obviously paid much less than me, please email them to me. If you are having problems uploading them, perhaps I could upload them on your behalf
I am sure you will enjoy your new car, I am on my 2nd XK and I still drive with a smile on my face every time I get into her
regards,
Glenn
No to diesel - No to estates - Yes to grace - Yes to space - Yes to pace
Your Pictures
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your email, I got your photos and have uploaded them below;
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/8787/ ... 600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/7184/ ... 600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/6524/ ... 600Q85.jpg
Personally I think they look cheap and tacky, I must insist that you remove them immediately otherwise I will have no choice but to report you to the 'XK8 Bling Police'..........only joking
They look good and it looks as if you paid a fraction of the price that I paid for my bits!
Thanks for your email, I got your photos and have uploaded them below;
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/8787/ ... 600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/7184/ ... 600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/6524/ ... 600Q85.jpg
Personally I think they look cheap and tacky, I must insist that you remove them immediately otherwise I will have no choice but to report you to the 'XK8 Bling Police'..........only joking
They look good and it looks as if you paid a fraction of the price that I paid for my bits!
No to diesel - No to estates - Yes to grace - Yes to space - Yes to pace
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests