My 7 year old XK8 has just been serviced. First time for me as I got the car only last July. I went to collect it and the very nice young lady in Barrets smiled and looked a bit sheepish. That will be £611 please sir. I thought they will at least have resprayed it and put a new engine in for that but no, all the jobs were just routine. She said that at 7 years they change the spark plugs for the first time and that adds quite a lot. Still, they did wash it.
So keeping the fjsh tag seems to cost. Are independents much cheaper?
Cost of Servicing
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Hi Bill,
Yes, the 7-year/70000mile service is the big one because of the spark plugs, for which the dealers charge a fortune (and, of course there are 8 of them).
Are you aware of the Jaguar Allegiance scheme, available FOC from many main dealers. I deal with Guy Salmon, Coventry and receive 30% of labout rates and 10% of parts, which makes a big difference in final cost.
I had my 70K service done last May (my car is a XK8, MY2000) and it came to £455, but also included 2 VVT seals and miscellaneous small bits and bobs.
The discount on the labour content alone came to about £90.
At least you know that the 'big one' is now done.
Enjoy your P&J
Yes, the 7-year/70000mile service is the big one because of the spark plugs, for which the dealers charge a fortune (and, of course there are 8 of them).
Are you aware of the Jaguar Allegiance scheme, available FOC from many main dealers. I deal with Guy Salmon, Coventry and receive 30% of labout rates and 10% of parts, which makes a big difference in final cost.
I had my 70K service done last May (my car is a XK8, MY2000) and it came to £455, but also included 2 VVT seals and miscellaneous small bits and bobs.
The discount on the labour content alone came to about £90.
At least you know that the 'big one' is now done.
Enjoy your P&J
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl
I was not aware of this scheme. Is it available from all main dealers? You got a much better deal than me. The spark plugs came to £67.68 + VAT plus an hour of extra labour. Sobering to think that changing the plugs costs ~£100.
Still, its all done now. This is the only car I've ever owned that makes me smile while driving. I'll try to put the ownership costs out of my mind for a while!
I was not aware of this scheme. Is it available from all main dealers? You got a much better deal than me. The spark plugs came to £67.68 + VAT plus an hour of extra labour. Sobering to think that changing the plugs costs ~£100.
Still, its all done now. This is the only car I've ever owned that makes me smile while driving. I'll try to put the ownership costs out of my mind for a while!
Bill Root
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Bill,
as far as I am aware, all Jaguar main dealers should support the Allegiance scheme, as I believe it is also supported by Jaguar itself.
The only difference I have seen is the amount of discount offered by some, ie 20% discount on labour, rather than 30% as with my dealer.
Plug change does seem expensive, but just spare a thought for XKR owners who have a change every 30k miles, rather than every 70k miles
I agree with you, the ownership experience keeps winning over ownership cost - somehow

as far as I am aware, all Jaguar main dealers should support the Allegiance scheme, as I believe it is also supported by Jaguar itself.
The only difference I have seen is the amount of discount offered by some, ie 20% discount on labour, rather than 30% as with my dealer.
Plug change does seem expensive, but just spare a thought for XKR owners who have a change every 30k miles, rather than every 70k miles
I agree with you, the ownership experience keeps winning over ownership cost - somehow
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Karl had my big service done at farriers they classed it as a 90,000 service even though the car has done only 86,000 anyway i had the plugs changed in accordance withy a 90,000 as on the xk8 1998 year all plugs are changed at 30,000 miles, just found a new front sensor that fits on the number plate surround and its black and it is exactly 520mm so looks like that will be the one i will go with, by the way Farriers are offering 10% off labour charges now the total cost for my service was £402.00inc vat
mick
mick
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Mick I just looked at the Service Schedule in JTIS for your MY (98) and noticed that plug change is set for every 30k Miles intervall.
It appears that for 99MY and 2000MY this intervall has changed to 70K miles.
Great news about your parking sensors. I wonder if they are the ones I have seen in Halfords, built into each side of the number plate surround?
BTW, Mick, are you going the the Jaguar Spares Day at Kenilworth on Sunday 18th March? I have been to most of them and picked up the odd good thing (or so it seems to be at the time
)
Karl
It appears that for 99MY and 2000MY this intervall has changed to 70K miles.
Great news about your parking sensors. I wonder if they are the ones I have seen in Halfords, built into each side of the number plate surround?
BTW, Mick, are you going the the Jaguar Spares Day at Kenilworth on Sunday 18th March? I have been to most of them and picked up the odd good thing (or so it seems to be at the time
Karl
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Karl yes i will be going to the spares day, i have been going for the last 15 years when i was restoring my etype, i will be going with my brother he has my old x300 in the same colour as my xk8, and is still in tip top condition, about the sensors , no they are not halfords i have sent for them off the web they are made by a company called Hawk alarms, and there is only2 sensors in the kit at the cost of around £15 plus postage and comes with the correct drill as well, i am planning to put the into the numberplate plinth in each corner as they should be around 500 mm above ground and 500mm apart so it seems that it should be about right, i will look out for you at stoneleigh Karl, i dont need a lot but you never know what you might see, if something is in better condition than yours you buy it dont you ?? well thats what i tell Hazel
HA HA bye Karl Mick
HA HA bye Karl Mick
Hello everybody,
Thought I might let you know my experience of Barrets in Ashford. My car is a 1998 left hand drive and at the time had LHD headlights. Last year I booked the car in for an MoT and service on the agreement that they would "be understanding" about the headlights.
During the day, I was phoned and told they could not issue an MoT. I reminded them of the agreement, but they refused to budge. I expressed my disastisfaction and asked them to stick to their promise. I was called again, to say they could not issue the MoT, but the price of the service had suddenly been reduced. I was speechless and expressed my opinions in a manner that could not be misunderstood. I then paid over the phone and was told the car would be returned at 15:30. At 17:00 the car appeared, no explanation as to why they could not have let me know about the delay was offered, I asked whether they had heard of the telephone.
I complained by letter, and recieved a a reply which was unacceptable.
I will not be using Barrets of Ashford, except in an emergency. I have used Barretts in Canterbury and they are like a different company.
Doug Barrass.
Thought I might let you know my experience of Barrets in Ashford. My car is a 1998 left hand drive and at the time had LHD headlights. Last year I booked the car in for an MoT and service on the agreement that they would "be understanding" about the headlights.
During the day, I was phoned and told they could not issue an MoT. I reminded them of the agreement, but they refused to budge. I expressed my disastisfaction and asked them to stick to their promise. I was called again, to say they could not issue the MoT, but the price of the service had suddenly been reduced. I was speechless and expressed my opinions in a manner that could not be misunderstood. I then paid over the phone and was told the car would be returned at 15:30. At 17:00 the car appeared, no explanation as to why they could not have let me know about the delay was offered, I asked whether they had heard of the telephone.
I complained by letter, and recieved a a reply which was unacceptable.
I will not be using Barrets of Ashford, except in an emergency. I have used Barretts in Canterbury and they are like a different company.
Doug Barrass.
Doug
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with Barretts in Ashford. My experience with them has been OK. Whilst being amazed at the cost of routine servicing (the reason I started this topic) they have always done what they said they would do. They seem quite friendly too, I had a long chat with the service manager about timing chains, water pumps and the like. He seemed knowledgable and happy to talk.
I my experience a car with LHD headlights would certainly fail the MOT headlight alignment test. Remember it is not the dealer who is authorised to issue a certificate, it is a personal qualification of the examiner. Whilst he might work for Barretts, they have no way of making him issue a certificate against his judgement. I know an Examiner (at another garage) and he says that there are now more frequent DfT checks on examiners' decisions. If an examiner looses his authorisation it can make a dent in his earning power. In your case perhaps Barretts were silly to promise what they had no means of delivering!
I do think that the whole dealer service history thing is a scam by dealers to keep us hooked into their inflated servicing charges. My understanding is that the market value of our cars drops if we don't keep up the fjsh. When my car is out of warranty I'm seriously considering having it looked after by one of the many non-franchise specialists who seem to charge a lot less and know a lot more.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with Barretts in Ashford. My experience with them has been OK. Whilst being amazed at the cost of routine servicing (the reason I started this topic) they have always done what they said they would do. They seem quite friendly too, I had a long chat with the service manager about timing chains, water pumps and the like. He seemed knowledgable and happy to talk.
I my experience a car with LHD headlights would certainly fail the MOT headlight alignment test. Remember it is not the dealer who is authorised to issue a certificate, it is a personal qualification of the examiner. Whilst he might work for Barretts, they have no way of making him issue a certificate against his judgement. I know an Examiner (at another garage) and he says that there are now more frequent DfT checks on examiners' decisions. If an examiner looses his authorisation it can make a dent in his earning power. In your case perhaps Barretts were silly to promise what they had no means of delivering!
I do think that the whole dealer service history thing is a scam by dealers to keep us hooked into their inflated servicing charges. My understanding is that the market value of our cars drops if we don't keep up the fjsh. When my car is out of warranty I'm seriously considering having it looked after by one of the many non-franchise specialists who seem to charge a lot less and know a lot more.
Bill Root
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
