I’m new here and to owning a XKR
When closing bonnet following the manual advise
ie close bonnet to within 18” and drop
the bonnet dosent latch down seems not heavy enough
When I bought the car the owner said to close bonnet
Stand at the front both hands 1/3 down from top in centre of bonnet. Push all way down with moderate force
Just worried I’m going to damage bonnet
Please advise
Thanks
Paul
XKR closing bonnet
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi Paul, to be fair, I have never had a problem: hold in the centre and let go. Make sure the catches are greased. If you don't hold in the centre or drop it from high enough it might only catch on one side.
Re: XKR closing bonnet
I agree with Mike. I close mine by the 'drop method' and it works fine. I would worry about possibly denting the bonnet by pressing on it.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi folks, yes I was initially of the opinion that the 'drop method' was correct for the bonnet closing on the XK, or indeed any forward hinged Jaguar bonnet. However; I was 'educated' by a Jaguar Master Technician that the 'correct' method is by pushing from in front of the car with both hands either side of the power bulge, about a third of the way from the top. I always use a towel / microfibre cloth before placing hands on the bonnet paintwork and simply gently push the bonnet, which hinges easily and, in effect, drops the last part in any event. The difference in the methodologies works because anyone who may be 'vertically challenged' would be pulling the bonnet from an off-centre position, if the drop method were employed. With the gentle push from in front, it works perfectly.
Jim
Jim
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi Jim, I probably fit into the "vertically challenged" category
, but never had a problem. I'll try your method next time!
Re: XKR closing bonnet
No problems here using the drop method. Perhaps the OP may need to lubricate the hinges and catches. 
2012 XKR, Black pack, Aero pack, Speed pack
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi all.
Reading this thread has made me smile because when I took my XJ8 for it's first MOT in my ownership I gave the tester a right mouthful for slamming the bonnet shut.
It was only later that I read that was one of the correct ways of closing the bonnet,so the following year I appologised
I now use the drop method myself and it closes fine with a nice thud.
I do grease the catches regularly though.
Take care and stay safe.
Andy
Reading this thread has made me smile because when I took my XJ8 for it's first MOT in my ownership I gave the tester a right mouthful for slamming the bonnet shut.
It was only later that I read that was one of the correct ways of closing the bonnet,so the following year I appologised
I now use the drop method myself and it closes fine with a nice thud.
I do grease the catches regularly though.
Take care and stay safe.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi All
It would appear that there are two different methods of Bonnet Closing, one for the X100 series & the other for the X150 series XK/XK8/R.
In the Vehicle Care Book that was supplied with my MY 2002 XK8 page 1-7 describes the method of closing the Bonnet with the aid of 2 diagrams. The text reads “Bonnet latching: Close the bonnet to within a distance of 250 to 300 mm (10 to 12 inches) of the fully closed position. Place the left hand on the bonnet as shown at (A). Then pressing downwards slam the bonnet shut. This action should engage both the right-hand and left-hand latches. Should one latch fail to engage, place both hands as shown at (B) above the unlatched side and press down firmly on the bonnet until it engages.”
Diagram ‘A’ shows a hand placed approximately 8 inches from the back of, and on the center-line of, the bonnet. Diagram ‘B’ shows both hands pushing down on the bonnet over one of the latches.
Wear & tear of the bonnet struts probably makes the pushing down (part 1 of above) of the bonnet redundant & therefore the letting go method suffices.
The method described by Jim is for the X150 series as the bonnet is made from aluminium alloy and therefore the bonnet is susceptible to permanent distortion should pressure be applied to an inappropriate area.
I hope this clarifies the issue
AllanJ
It would appear that there are two different methods of Bonnet Closing, one for the X100 series & the other for the X150 series XK/XK8/R.
In the Vehicle Care Book that was supplied with my MY 2002 XK8 page 1-7 describes the method of closing the Bonnet with the aid of 2 diagrams. The text reads “Bonnet latching: Close the bonnet to within a distance of 250 to 300 mm (10 to 12 inches) of the fully closed position. Place the left hand on the bonnet as shown at (A). Then pressing downwards slam the bonnet shut. This action should engage both the right-hand and left-hand latches. Should one latch fail to engage, place both hands as shown at (B) above the unlatched side and press down firmly on the bonnet until it engages.”
Diagram ‘A’ shows a hand placed approximately 8 inches from the back of, and on the center-line of, the bonnet. Diagram ‘B’ shows both hands pushing down on the bonnet over one of the latches.
Wear & tear of the bonnet struts probably makes the pushing down (part 1 of above) of the bonnet redundant & therefore the letting go method suffices.
The method described by Jim is for the X150 series as the bonnet is made from aluminium alloy and therefore the bonnet is susceptible to permanent distortion should pressure be applied to an inappropriate area.
I hope this clarifies the issue
AllanJ
XK8 Registrar
2016 F-Type British Design Edition AWD; 1972 650 Triton
2016 F-Type British Design Edition AWD; 1972 650 Triton
-
sr.davies50680

- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Jun 16, 2025 6:16 pm
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Hi
Im having an issue when closing the bonnet as it seems to twist to the left and over hangs the wing by 20mm so im having to wrestle with the bonnet to close it, i thought it was the two new hydraulic lifters fighting against each other but after i removed them it made no difference.
Can anyone suggest where to check next?
Im having an issue when closing the bonnet as it seems to twist to the left and over hangs the wing by 20mm so im having to wrestle with the bonnet to close it, i thought it was the two new hydraulic lifters fighting against each other but after i removed them it made no difference.
Can anyone suggest where to check next?
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Check that the bonnet hinges haven't come loose and are causing the problem. If that's not the case, you will probably be looking for damaged components. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: XKR closing bonnet
Well you live and learn!
Jim Mann - thanks for this insight. I'd wrongly assumed the same drop method for my XK as I was shown for my XK8 by a Jaguar technician.
I'd agree with JimboV8's comments about lubrication - my XK latches do seem to like more regular lubrication but that could be a factor of where I park the car.
Jim Mann - thanks for this insight. I'd wrongly assumed the same drop method for my XK as I was shown for my XK8 by a Jaguar technician.
I'd agree with JimboV8's comments about lubrication - my XK latches do seem to like more regular lubrication but that could be a factor of where I park the car.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
