Only had her a day and need help already:-(

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

KevRen
Posts:46
Joined:Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm
Only had her a day and need help already:-(

Postby KevRen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Hello everybody

Good news - just fulfilled my (very late) childhood dream and got myself a Sherwood Green XK8 - hurrah. Bought quite 'cheap' from a (non-Jag) dealer with a good reputation. The car has had one owner, good service history but needs a little tidying paintwork wise, but that's Ok - the 100 mile journey home was bliss. Before purchase, I asked about the usual issues (timing chain, gearbox oil etc) including the condition underneath the car. I had read Nigel Thorley's excellent 'You and your Jaguar XK8' which refers to the problem of corrosion in the reinforcing plates, not really knowing , from the photo on p98, where these were. Dealer said he thought they were OK. You've probably guessed the next bit.

Bad news - closer look at car today - all fluids good, no leaks etc. Then started prodding underneath the car and found where the plates are, or rather were! :( Driver's side has perforated through the floor and passenger side has lifted off the floor and probably would perforate given a good prod. If only I'd known how easy these were to check.

So, I don't need telling how stupid I've been (although feel free to tell me if it makes you feel good), but could anybody out there answer a few questions for me, please?

1. How much to put right?
2. Is it an MOT fail? Answer to this could be interesting as the dealer put 12 months' ticket on the car on Friday, the day before I picked up the car.
3. If it's not a fail, is there a cosmetic response that is appropriate in the short term while I save up the dosh for the response to question 1?

Sorry to be so negative about my new car. It's still the best car by miles that I have ever driven, and I look forward to sharing more positively in future :lol:

Any responses (as gentle as possible) would be appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Postby PrideofLyons » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:23 am

Hi there - sorry to hear about your disappointing discovery re the corroded floor panels. Seems to me that, under the sale of goods act, you're in a strong position to return it as not fit for purpose, get a full refund and then source a rather better example. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Kevin,
It's good to gain another active member on the bulletin board. It's just a shame that you haven't had a smooth start to XK8 ownership. I agree with Pride of Lyons in that the selling dealer should be your first port of call for corrective action.
Dependent upon the extent of the corrosion in the floorpan, it may or may not be an MoT failure issue. However, the good news is that most cars can be repaired relatively easily (cheaply). The cost of the work is a bit like the old piece of string comment. You really need to get two or three estimates from competent welders after they have seen the extent of the problem. Don't be tempted to let the problem ride. It will only get worse and cost even more to put right, to say nothing about the possible safety issues. Keep us posted on progess. Mike.

KevRen
Posts:46
Joined:Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Postby KevRen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks very much for your replies.

I note that in his book, Nigel says that the job can be expensive because of the necessity for trim removal but I thought I had seen a posting, which I now can't find, that intimated a way around that. I think the car is pretty good and well maintained in other respects, and I wouldn't want to lose it on the basis of a small amount of welding that I could probably get the vendor to pay for. The driver side has penetrated through the floor and their is a hole about 2cm in diameter which I could probably make a bit bigger by removing more rust. The passenger side hasn't penetrated but the plate has rusted away from the floor and is completely shot.

I would be really interested to know:

1. what would constitute a fail or advisory (non was issued on Friday)?
2. what are your thoughts on persevering with this car?
3. a ball park figure for repair by a Jag (non-main dealer) specialist or other?
4. is repair without trim removal a possibility?

Thank you for yout time on this so far - if you could find a little more for me on this I'd be really grateful.

Kevin

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

MOT work

Postby painter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi KevRen,
recently had mine done. I had been told when purchasing the car that all was fine down under, but what felt solid at that time turned out to be a cavity crammed with muck.
I believe the situation with MOT is failure if the corrosion is within 12" of a mounting point, and generally I think these would be.
I think it worthwhile having the work done. Once completed and properly protected it eliminates a problem that most early XK8's will suffer from.
I had both sides repaired, + some corrosion to a cill, renovate all 4 wheel arches which were showing early signs of deterioration, and take out (tesco) dents to doors, respray doors and wings total cost £945 + VAT.
(this included waxoyl to all areas + underside after cleaning). Delighted with work (Falmouth Coachworks) done and no longer worried about leaving the car out during winter. These are expensive cars to maintain properly, rather like an expensive mistress, but in my view worth every penny.

KevRen
Posts:46
Joined:Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Postby KevRen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks again folks.

Spoke to my very helpful, local Jag Specialist today (XJK in Stoke - anybody know them?) who confirmed that the rot is definitely an MOT failure. So will speak to the vendor tomorrow and push for him covering cost of repair and re-MOT (as I can't have faith in the last one) as well as covering cost of any issue arising from new MOT. Still wondering about reporting the garage that did the MOT on Friday? Any thoughts anyone?

Kevin

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

MOT?

Postby painter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:38 am

I think the area affected by corrosion is usually relatively small when first discovered on MOT. I am sure I read somewhere on a JEC thread that the double skin was intended to strengthen locally to distribute forces in the event of impact (well that wasn't a particularly successful design concept :oops: ) but compared to a few years ago it seems a harsh decision to fail for the area involved. Another factor on MOT is the size of the corroded area and for a borderline case I would rather they pass the car with a warning. Personally I wouldn't report them, I don't think this falls into the category of negligence.

KevRen
Posts:46
Joined:Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Postby KevRen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Have decided to followPride of Lyons advice and get a refund, especially after the vendor became verbally abusive and put the phone down on me just now. My credit card bank is in dispute and I hope for a positive outcome. I am still wondering about diputing the MOT with VOSPA as the area of penetration is apparently a clear MOT fail and came with eight advisories, some significant, some minor.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll let you know how I get on.

Kevin

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Postby painter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Ouch, good luck KevRen, hope you get a favourable outcome.

peterxk8

Member
Posts:28
Joined:Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:39 pm

Postby peterxk8 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi.
Just reading about your problems, what a sorry tale but don't let it put you off XK8's there are some very good one's around. I use XJK in Stoke and have found them to be excellant. Did you know that one of their guys is a technical advisor to the Club?

KevRen
Posts:46
Joined:Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Postby KevRen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Ah well - Mastercard have decided there is 'no evidence for fraud' but have kindly invited me to sue them, which is nice, isn't it? So, three months of looking out of the window at a car that looks gorgeous but I can't drive and enjoy otherwise is about to come to an end. I shall have done/ do myself what needs doing and just enjoy the car, at last! A minor three month set back which is ultimately trivial in the global scheme of things. :)

Wish me luck, folks - and brace yourselves for advice requests!! :lol:

Kevin

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm

A sad episode but as you say, at some point a philosophical approach becaomes the only practical way forward. Good luck with getting things sorted and getting on with enjoying the car! Mike.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests