Page 1 of 1

new to this forum !

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 pm
by dogbitedavie
hi everyone,
I'm usually on the xjs forum, I have a xjs-c 3.6
I have now decided I would like a XKR, so thought I would join this forum, and gain a bit of info and advice as to what people thought about these motors, and what they would advise me to spend my cash on !

Any advice greatly accepted.

Dave

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:47 pm
by mike020150
Hi Dave, Welcome to the XK8 Forum. If you're looking for an XK8 you should have plenty of choice. The range goes from £10k to £80k! All the XKRs go very well but if you can stretch to one, the 4.2 engined versions eliminate the issues associated with Nikasil, timing chain tensioners and possible slight gearbox weaknesses associated with the 4.0 litre models. The 4.2 is also slightly better on fuel. Other than that I'd suggest checking out the specs for any must-have items and taking a few test drives to get a feel of the model before settling on a particular car. Whatever the age of car you select, don't get carried away. Ensure you carry out all the normal second hand car checks for wear and tear as well as rust and don't forget that worn tyres will be expensive to replace. The older cars are well able to provide the problems associated with any second hand vehicle. A good XK8 will put a permanent smile on your face. A bad one will empty your wallet in double quick time. :D Mike.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm
by dogbitedavie
Thanks for the reply Mike,
I intend to have a good look round before parting with my cash, but a point in the right direction is very welcome.
I've had a few XJ-s's, so I know what you mean about emptying your wallet ! some quicker than others.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:15 pm
by PrideofLyons
Don't forget either that pre-2001 cars will save you the financial pain of the recently-hiked road tax rates for large engines. :shock:

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 pm
by dogbitedavie
yes, true, but would the fact that the older car would need more spending on it outweigh the tax difference?
I have seen a XKR special edition type R for sale on the old E-Bay.says its a 400 run ltd edt. does anyone know anything about this special ? it does sound like a nice motor

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 am
by PrideofLyons
... would the fact that the older car would need more spending on it outweigh the tax difference?

Not if you make sure that all likely necessary work's been done by the PO (chains, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, FJSH etc). 8)

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm
by mike020150
Jaguar has produced a number of special editions over the years. To all intents and purposes, they were variants using the standard mechanics with different packages of extras although the Silverstone, for example, also had the optional handling pack (different springs, roll bars etc). Second hand these special editions are not worth paying through the nose for and are better judged on overall condition. It's unlikely such versions will be worth significantly more than the standard versions as the years roll past. Mike.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 am
by dogbitedavie
as you can see from my first post, it has taken some time, but I have eventually got myself a 04 plate xkr convertible!
60k miles, with service history.
only had chance to drive it about 5 miles, but wow...... a bit different from my xjs !
think i might go for a little jaunt in the countryside on sunday... cant wait !

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:08 am
by mike020150
Whilst I too have enjoyed XJSs over the years, it's difficult not to admit that XK8s are a full generation better to drive. Happy motoring! Mike. :D

Hi Folks

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:24 pm
by jimbo
Im a newby as well, glad to meet you all. I have a lovely 96 black XK8...old but still superb fun.

Just about to get the chains done before going on this Monte Carlo run.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 am
by ptjs1
dogbitedavie,

Congrats on the purchase - great car - I'd love one!

Now you've got your new toy, remember not to abandon us completely over on the XJS pages!

You know that if you ignore the XJS in favour of your new mistress, then she will get annoyed and flatten her battery or start rusting!

Enjoy the new car!

Paul

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 pm
by dogbitedavie
Hi Paul, good to hear from you. unfortunatly, my Mrs.says I have too many cars now, so it might be the xjs-c has to go....i will try and hold on to her as long as possible though ! (not sure if thats the Mrs. or xjs)
the XKR is completly different, only had it a week, still finding out what switches does what, trying to find which fuse is for the cig lighter etc etc, but it is VERY nice to drive, and gets nearly as many looks as the xjs !!

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:18 pm
by mike020150
I'm sure you'll get slightly more smiles per mile with the XK8 as well as a few extra mpg! Mike. :)