Hello from Essex!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

PaulMcGuinness
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 pm
Location:Latchingdon, Essex
Contact:
Hello from Essex!

Postby PaulMcGuinness » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi All,

My name is Paul, I've just joined the JEC, and am on my 2nd Jag. The first was a XJ Sport 3.2 1996 that was fantastic (drove that to Cognac and back at 100mph all the way with no probs at all!), and I now own a 1999 (Steel lined!) XK8 4.0 in Silver.

I can honestly say that my XK8 is the *best* car I've ever had.

I live in Latchingdon, Essex (on the Dengie peninsular - quite rural) about 15 miles from Chelmsford, and 4 miles from Maldon.

Mods / Enhancements:-

HID Headlamps (Came as a kit - fantastic improvement)
Snooper Sentinel GPS Camera Detector (wired into loom above mirror)
TomTom Go Sat Nav with Mic (I use it as a Bluetooth Handsfree kit)

To Do List:-

Install Parrot Handsfree Kit into Loom so it mutes radio and comes through speakers (if possible...)
Install rear parcel-shelf speaker
Upgrade Speakers (if I can be bothered)

Wanted:

Rear parcel-shelf speaker!
Details of how to wire in the Parrot kit!

That's it!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

:lol:

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:57 am

:D Welcome to the Forum Paul. Good luck with the mods. As you've found out XK8s are great cars with more smiles per mile (never mind the mpg!). You might like to post a few pics of your car in the gallery when you get a moment. As for speakers etc, try the breakers who advertise in the back of the club magazine. Alternatively, eBay can be a good source too. Mike.

MichaelPerkins
Posts:6
Joined:Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:27 pm

Essex

Postby MichaelPerkins » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Paul :lol:
Good luck with modifications,most off us started like your self doing this and that,then you speak to other members or go to shows and before long the list grows.Like you I also think the XK8 is the best jaguar I have owned.

Good luck :P

Michael

Malc_R
Posts:37
Joined:Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Fellow Essex XK newbie

Postby Malc_R » Sat May 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi Paul - Malc here.

I too live in Essex - small place called Wyatts Green, a few miles from Brentwood. The XKR is my first venture into Jags - been driving BMW M3s for 10 years now, and decided it was time for a change in image - ten years older and wiser now :? !

I find it a much different driving experience - I find I drive slower than I did in the M, yet with the J-Gate, I can flip the gears down and make the supercharger whistle !! Its great. Not so keen on the large, wooden steering wheel, but I am sure I will get used to it.

Like the idea of the HID - you said that was a kit - can you elaborate pls??

Cheers

Malc

PaulMcGuinness
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 pm
Location:Latchingdon, Essex
Contact:

Postby PaulMcGuinness » Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Malc,

The HID kit I got was about £145 (make sure you get an CE marked one), and fitting it was straightforward enough. I can't remember where I got it from... sorry - it was online and about 2 years ago!

The kit I got consisted of a Ballast unit terminated with the standard male/female bulb connectors. This essentially meant that you could remove the standard dip beam bulb, place the HID in, and then simply connect the ballast unit in series with the existing cable.

Be aware of two things;

1. In all likelihood you will need to remove both front wheels to get at the bulbs. They are behind the access panel in the wheel arch (imagine trying to change that on the side of the road in Europe!)

2. Because the HID bulb is fixed permanently to the wiring loom, you have to detach the clip that holds the bulb in on one side, put the HID bulb in and then clip it back into place before locking down in the usual manner.

Regards,

Paul

User avatar
Bassman
Posts:85
Joined:Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location:Addlestone, Surrey & Kerleit, Finistere

Postby Bassman » Wed May 07, 2008 1:56 pm

As you've found out XK8s are great cars with more smiles per mile (never mind the mpg!). Mike.

Out of interest what are people's mpg figures like?

We have just been to our place in Brittany for a week and averaged 27mpg, which I reckon is pretty impressive fo a big 4.0 V8 car... and no I wasn't driving like a granny :lol: :lol: I did the 60mile trip home from Portsmouth in errrr 45 minutes :oops: :oops:
Paul
[b]1998 XK8 Antigua Blue[/b]

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm

MPG

Postby PeterK » Fri May 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Over the last 4,000 odd miles since I bought my XKR I have returned 26.7mpg according to the trip computer. Granted I do drive a little less hard these days but this does include quite long spells at 100mph plus on (European!) motorways, and making the supercharger work when overtaking oppertunities arrise on the country roads where we live. I think that is a pretty impressive figure for such a high performance car.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests