I have just started to look for my first XK and there seems quite a few on the market. A 2000 - 2001 model with reasaonable mileage would be ideal. I would appreciate any tips on what to look for as it seems there a few poor examples around especially with badly kerbed rims.
It seems from the articles I have read to make sure the Chain Tensioners have been changed around 60,000 miles and also the Thermostat. Anyway I will await any replies as I am in no hurry until I am sure exactly what I will be looking for.
Looking for my first XK8
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
- WULLIE4567
- Posts:192
- Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
- Location:EAST AYRSHIRE
first XK8
Hi John and a warm welcome to the forum
First of all you must have good taste
looking at XK8's, once you have bought an XK, and driven it you will never want to sell it unless it's for a newer one.
If you are going for a 2000 - 2001 model make sure there is proof of the of the following parts being replaced,
1- Top timing chains ( secondary ) and tensioners replaced no matter how many miles it has done.
2, The water pump along with the thermostat.
Dont worry about the nikasil engines on a 2000 car there fine. just check the usual car things like smokie engines, rattles, damaged bodywork, do check the rear bumper mounts by grabbing hold of the rear bumper and give it a good shake.
You should read through the postings in this forum then ask as many questions as you like, there's lots of knowledge to tap into.
Have a wee look at the gallery pictures see some of our cars. This part of the forum has just started and will fill up through time. I have a 2000 model and just love driving it, always a smile' well smirk on my face
. take your time choosing' there's a lot of nice xk's out there. I am just about to do my timing chains myself (next week) and will be posting some photo's of the old parts and any problems with the job.
the water pump and stat was done when I bought the car.
Apart from the items mentioned these cars are a dream to own and drive so don't let the above put you off, just negociate the price it's not to expensive to have these jobs done anyway.
best of luck
Wullie.
First of all you must have good taste
If you are going for a 2000 - 2001 model make sure there is proof of the of the following parts being replaced,
1- Top timing chains ( secondary ) and tensioners replaced no matter how many miles it has done.
2, The water pump along with the thermostat.
Dont worry about the nikasil engines on a 2000 car there fine. just check the usual car things like smokie engines, rattles, damaged bodywork, do check the rear bumper mounts by grabbing hold of the rear bumper and give it a good shake.
You should read through the postings in this forum then ask as many questions as you like, there's lots of knowledge to tap into.
Have a wee look at the gallery pictures see some of our cars. This part of the forum has just started and will fill up through time. I have a 2000 model and just love driving it, always a smile' well smirk on my face
the water pump and stat was done when I bought the car.
Apart from the items mentioned these cars are a dream to own and drive so don't let the above put you off, just negociate the price it's not to expensive to have these jobs done anyway.
best of luck
Wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Hi John, Wullie's advice is good. These are wonderful cars with a few well known and avoidable flaws. If you scan the bulletin board postings you will be able to arm yourself with information about all the key issues to check before buying. Then, prepare yourself for the driving experience. If it's out and out performance that interests you, go for an XKR. If fuel consumption is a factor, go for an XK8 (the 4.2 eights and Rs are slightly better on fuel than their earlier sisters). Either way, the driving experience won't disappoint you unless you're expecting to drive a go kart.
Mike.
Thanks for all the advice, I will keep looking at all the postings. Nice to know about the tensioners and will make sure they have been changed.
One thing that seems not to be mentioned are the range of colours available, it would be interesting to find out the most popular colour for this car. I personally like the Grey, perhaps some feedback on this?
Anyway I will be taking advantage of JEC and taking an XK8 owner with me to view these cars and will let this forum know the outcome.
One thing that seems not to be mentioned are the range of colours available, it would be interesting to find out the most popular colour for this car. I personally like the Grey, perhaps some feedback on this?
Anyway I will be taking advantage of JEC and taking an XK8 owner with me to view these cars and will let this forum know the outcome.
I personally think that a Jaguar should be Green, wether it's BRG, JRG, Emerald or in my case Sherwood
From what I've seen though is that the majority of XK's seem to be blue followed by Silver and Black. Definitely not keen or White or Yellow 
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.
-
gasman1003
- Posts:34
- Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Colour
As with all things - colour is subjective.
I have a '99 XK8 in Phoenix red which seems to attract the odd glance. (Bird puller - until they see the driver....).
Being a solid (non-metallic) paint, it makes touching up stone chips etc, a simple job. My local auto shop mixed up paint using the colour code - in both aerosol and a ducky little pot with a brush - both being a perfect match.
However, when you're sitting inside grinning - who cares what colour it is...
Michael
I have a '99 XK8 in Phoenix red which seems to attract the odd glance. (Bird puller - until they see the driver....).
Being a solid (non-metallic) paint, it makes touching up stone chips etc, a simple job. My local auto shop mixed up paint using the colour code - in both aerosol and a ducky little pot with a brush - both being a perfect match.
However, when you're sitting inside grinning - who cares what colour it is...
Michael
XK8
You will have heard of expensive problems with early cars, progresively they have been fixed. So if you buy a 4.2 car or check out the history carefully of an older car you chould be OK. But it will never be cheap car to run!!!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests