Page 1 of 1
New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:28 am
by painter
well at last the deed is done. Gone is my Merc. SL500 with all whistles and in it's place a much brighter thing with not so many whistles. (not that I used many of the Merc. functions - too busy watching the road!). The Merc. may well be a technically superior car (arguably of course) but when it comes down to the pleasure of driving one of the two, the XKR is poles ahead - no argument there. Purchased from Apex Cars in Wiltshire, in my opinion probably the best and most helpful dealership I can recall in the last twenty years or so. Some pics attached
Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:29 am
by mike020150
Looks good! Mike.
Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 am
by Andy P
Hi painter,
Very nice,hope she gives you many happy and trouble free miles.
Enjoy your car
Take care.
Andy

Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 pm
by davidr
Well done Painter. The head says Mercedes and the heart says Jaguar! Always follow your heart when you're buying toys!

Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:44 pm
by painter
many thanks all, now I know what I've been missing - all these years!!!
Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:40 pm
by jeff1954
Lovely motor painter is it the 5 or the 4.2 Ltr
Jeff
Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm
by painter
Hi Jeff,
it's the 4.2 L, I did see a 5.0L but they seem rare compared to the 4.2. (are they supercharged?)
Re: New owner
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:41 pm
by Robban59
Hi Painter,
good to know you prefer the new XK to the SL500, last year I was after a convertible and I researched also an SL350 ( R230 or R231 ) but then settled for an XK convertible, so it was a very good choice I learn from you now !
And my XK is even rarer..it is a 3.5L never sold in UK !
Enjoy your new big cat !
Re: New owner
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:34 am
by painter
Hi Robban,
3.5L ? is that a V8. (supercharged?) where did they make these? A good choice over Merc. although I'll have trouble keeping to my 5000 per annum now!
Re: New owner
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 am
by JimMann
See the April 2020 edition of the JE magazine for a quick summary of the 3.5L Modern XK engined cars.
Jim
Re: New owner
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:26 am
by Robban59
Hi Painter,
the 3.5L is anormally aspirated smaller version of the 4.2L V8, has a shorter stroke and same bore than the 4.2.
Has around 40 HP less which is fine with me, the XK is a gentleman GT not a sports car as the Boxster.
Total production by Jaguar of the XK 3.5L : 1275 -> 644 convertibles, 631 coupes
Total 3.5L convertibles sold in Italy : 127 !
Production numbers courtesy of Jaguar Customer Care
Jim : thanks for pointing us to the April 2020 issue for info on the 3.5L XK !
Roberto
Re: New owner
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 am
by painter
well I guess their scarcity marks them out as future collectors cars, also more practical on long motorway journeys as the supercharger is only intended to wake up elderly residents (! wait, I am elderly). The whole range of the new XK seem to be holding prices at present.