XK150 Owner again!
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Hi all - just sold my XJS Celebration and having had a brief encounter with a lemon of a XK100 have bought myself a beautiful 2 owner 50k miles, fish, 2009 XK Convertible Portfolio in grey - paid a bit over the odds from Peugeot dealership (it was taken in part x for a 208 Electric!! bit of a change for the former owner) but car is in great shape and extremely well looked after - only small issue at 1500-1600 revs get a rattle (sounds like exhaust/heat shield in contact) only happens when hot and when moving along - a little bit irritating as this is where the engine sits in the cruise - into Grantham Bridge Motors in Droitwich tomorrow for a cure hopefully - then off on a 10 day tour of Northern Spain end of month - has to be ready! This is the second time I have owned a XK150 - first encounter was in 2014 with 2010 XKR which was a beast and a real handful at times on country roads......will let forum know what issue with rattle turns out to be and looking forward to many years of Jaguar sublimity!
Re: XK150 Owner again!
Hi smudge56,
Congratulations on your purchase.
My brother-in-law has a 2007 XK150 and couldn't be happier.
They are a smart looking car,hope you get the little issue sorted easily.
Enjoy your road trip around Northern Spain,I''m very envious
Take care and drive safe.
Andy
Congratulations on your purchase.
My brother-in-law has a 2007 XK150 and couldn't be happier.
They are a smart looking car,hope you get the little issue sorted easily.
Enjoy your road trip around Northern Spain,I''m very envious
Take care and drive safe.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XK150 Owner again!
A few years ago, I ran a 2010 5 litre Portfolio convertible which I part exchanged for my XKR. Eventually, a fellow member bought the Portfolio. He later contacted me to say the car had a rattle very similar to that in your description at around the same revs, and had it occurred during my tenure? The answer was, no, but he kept me informed as the noise was investigated. Initially, the dealer involved failed to find the cause despite the noise driving the new owner mad. Eventually, the noise was traced to a poorly welded exhaust bracket on the original exhaust system. It had cracked in a position largely out of sight of an underbody inspection - just a thought in case it's the same issue. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: XK150 Owner again!
Hi Mike
Sorry that I didnt respond but your diagnosis was on the money! after much work by the specialist I insisted they take the exhaust centre section out (as I was convinced that was where the rattle was coming from) and voila a cracked exhaust mounting bracket - all welded up and everything fine now......
Steve
Sorry that I didnt respond but your diagnosis was on the money! after much work by the specialist I insisted they take the exhaust centre section out (as I was convinced that was where the rattle was coming from) and voila a cracked exhaust mounting bracket - all welded up and everything fine now......
Steve
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XK150 Owner again!
Glad the tip proved correct. Sharing our experiences in the club is a key membership benefit.
Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: XK150 Owner again!
Hi - I've sort of jumped ship. After some 27 years of XJS ownership (my current car, a 1994 Japanese AJ16 these last 14 years) I've bitten the bullet and bought a 2006 XK. I paid a premium for a low mileage high quality example and really pleased with it. It makes my XJS feel particularly vintage (but still a joy) and not entirely persuaded long distance trouble free motoring is going to be achievable with it going forward.
Happy days
Nick
Happy days
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XK150 Owner again!
Enjoy your new purchase! Later Jaguars are much more reliable than their forebears but, like all modern cars, they tend to be more difficult for most owners (more electronics) when they go wrong.
Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests