New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk
Posts:8
Joined:Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm
New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk » Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Hello everyone, I've just joined as I'm planning to buy myself a 4.2 XK8 Coupe next month. I have a max budget of £8k though which limits me a bit but not, I'm hoping, totally. I've read Nigel Thorley's books for advice.Any other pointers are appreciated though plus if anyone knows of one coming up for sale, I'd be keen to have a look. I'd prefer to buy private and from a fellow enthusiast if possible (I live in Coventry, will travel up to 100 miles for the right one)

regards

Christopher Holloway :D

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby Brakebuster » Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm

welcome

there is a classifieds section in the back of the magazine, you can access it electronically on this site now your a member , always worth a look

take your time and buy the one you like,

good luck

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby mike020150 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 am

Welcome to the Forum. I'd also suggest going along to your local regional meeting or even to several round you. Then, you can put the word around in person that you are looking for a car. It would be a good way of getting to know fellow club members and you never know what may turn up in response to your inquiries. In addition, you could place a free wanted ad in the magazine. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

FrankC
Posts:72
Joined:Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby FrankC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 am

Can I also suggest you take someone who already has a XK8 or XKR. They can look at your new, potential, purchase with analytical eyes rather than "I want one" eyes. If you spot a car near me, Malvern Worcestershire or nearby Glos just let me know.

christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk
Posts:8
Joined:Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 am

Quick update, I finally made my purchase yesterday after viewing several all across the land. I found one from a dealer in Chorley, it made the run back down the M6 no problem.....and then..3 miles from home. warnings on the dash about restricted performance and a strange pop from the transmission sometimes as it changes. Not sure if there is a link but turning a left hand bend and going up hill seemed to set off the fault which then clears on its own? my first thought is low oil but who knows? I'm going to change the oil and filter and see how it goes. Other than this, the car is in great shape. (Probably not relevant but two other strange warnings "cruise not available and "check rear lights" these come up too occasionally).
Anyone know the best place to get the parts and oil from? I live near Coventry so would rather go over the counter if there is a local place.
yours, a delighted XK8 owner... :D

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby mike020150 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Christopher,
It sounds like you are in for an interesting time.
As you say, start with the simple possibilities for the gearbox fault. Filling the box has to be done whilst the engine is running but crucially whilst the fluid has a temperature of no more than 30 degrees centigrade in order to get the level right. Tackling the task 2 or even 3 times, allowing the engine to go stone cold in between is probably the easiest way to get it right without diagnostic kit to give the actual fluid temperature reading.
No cruise could be related to the restricted performance issue. Alternatively, the brake light switch could be faulty and causing the 'no cruise' and possibly the rear lamp warnings. If still necessary, check it out after sorting the gearbox/restricted performance issue. Good luck. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk
Posts:8
Joined:Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: 2005 XK8 transmission

Postby christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm

thanks mike,
I've decided against tackling this myself and have booked it in with Chris Forbes at CFS Coventry on Wednesday, I'll ask him to run the diagnostics, check the fluid level and advise what he feels should be next. if just a top-up will do for now, I'll delay replacement until it is due for service anyway in October. I'll tell him about the classic "woof" noise the gearbox makes and the fault messages I've had too. (I was a service engineer in a former life so I know any information can really help, even if it seems irrelevant.)
fingers crossed for Wednesday...

Chris

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 am

Good luck for Wednesday. Keep us posted on progress. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk
Posts:8
Joined:Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Update: Great news

Postby christopher.holloway1979@yahoo.co.uk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 pm

It's good news; I got the car back today, transmission oil, filter, diagnostics and a software update all done, the dash message-free and the car seems to be working great. I'll have to drive it a couple of hundred miles just to make sure. It's a tough job, but someone has got to do it.

yours, an even more delighted XK8 owner...

Chris

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: New Member, buying XK8 in June2017

Postby mike020150 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm

More smiles per mile in an XK! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests