Old boys cars

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

dredr62
Posts:39
Joined:Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 pm
Location:Essex
Old boys cars

Postby dredr62 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:31 pm

Yes as a youngster (around the time of the series 1 XJ6) I always thought Jags to be "old boys cars". Now having reached that "age" myself I have suddenly become very interested in all things Jaguar. Over the last three years I have acquired three of the beasts. Pride of my mini collection is my XK8 (4.2 Coupe - 2003 reg'd) in adriatic blue. Family are banned. Exclusively my territory. Apparently I spend more time with it than my wife. I also have a 2003 reg'd X type (2.0 classic) in the same colour, which cynics would say should carry a blue oval badge rather than growler on its bonnet. Whatever your views, I'm happy with my little X type even though it's underpowered and drinks like a fish. Finally the old man in my collection, a 1998 reg'd XJ8 LWB Sovereign in madiera red. Steady as a rock and so comfortable, you don't drive it, it just glides along. A neighbour recently gave me an old Jaguar poster advertising the series II XJ6 under the old "British Leyland" banner. At the end of a list of ownership benefits it says, "but most of all, it will remind you that your life has not been totally without success". And I think that pretty much sums it (Jaguars) up for me. Recently joined the JEC and looking forward to the next big event.

GrandTourer
Posts:297
Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Location:Leicester, UK

Postby GrandTourer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Welcome to the Club and the Forum, dredru :)
How do you manage to 'exercise' your three cats regularly :?
Apart from my XK8 Coupe, MY00 I also have an X-Type 2.5 - one of the earliest on the road. Its now 6 years old, about 73k miles and still drives almost as a new car. I don't get to drive it too much these days, as my wife borrowed it for a 'short while' - that was well over 2 years ago :roll:
So, I have to use my XK8 on a daily basis - what a hardship :P :P :P
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue

dredr62
Posts:39
Joined:Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 pm
Location:Essex

Postby dredr62 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi. My first Jag was an 02 reg'd S type SE (4.2 V8) which I bought without my wife being there. When I got it home she decided (insisted) she would like a new car so I "bought her" the X type so that she wouldn't drive mine. We use the X type to do school runs with the kids and many other short trips. It had done 10k when purchased and is about to hit 35K. The only problem we've had with it is the door latches which sometimes jam and render the remote inoperative or lock you in the car. From a power perspective I think I should have got the 2.5 like yourself. The S type was p/ex for my XK8 which I use on a daily basis. Next week I'm having the torque converter replaced. Jaguar agreed to cover 40% of the cost as the car was two days out of warranty when the gearbox fault displayed. I've done about 9k in it since purchase just over a year ago. The XJ8 is our family car. LWB so three kids can stretch out in the back. Only had it 4 weeks and only intend to use it at weekends. During the week my father "looks after it". The problem I have is space. Where to put them. We need to move house. David.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests