Hello Posting

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
Paul6348

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Location:Wisbech, Cambs
Contact:
Hello Posting

Postby Paul6348 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:38 pm

This is my forst post - kind of a test for me really.
My XK8 was first registered in Jan 1997. It is BRG, convertible, with Flute wheels and Teal (light green) interior. I bought it in July 2006 with the intention of it and I growing old together! There are a number of bits to re-new or replace but generally she is in good condition.
So far I have had a main-dealer service done at £700-plus :cry: and I am seriously considering a replacement of the tensioners etc. that seem to worry owners.
I would be interested to hear from you - particularly anyone in or around the North Cambridgeshire area.
Happy Days!
PG
(1997 XK8 Convertible; BRG with Teal interior)

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Paul. I would get the tensioners done as a matter of course. £700 for a service :shock: , what did you have done? Even a big 60,000 or 90,000 shouldn't cost that much. Since it was a main dealer they should have offered you the Jaguar allegiance scheme which knocks off 30% off parts and 10% off labour for cars over 4 years old.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

User avatar
Paul6348

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Location:Wisbech, Cambs
Contact:

Postby Paul6348 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 pm

I bought the car with the service book fully up to date but with no detail of previous work done in addition to services. Marshall at Peterborough carried out a 100k service plus, on their recommendation, anti-bacterial treatment on the a/c; flush treatment on the engine & "installed a fuel cleansing treatment in fuel tank"; replace brake fluid; replace ext. temp sensor; replace some bulbs; replace O/S/R Bump Stop; replace N/S/F track rod end; visual check and report on condition. Total cost with VAT £785.38
PG
(1997 XK8 Convertible; BRG with Teal interior)

User avatar
Bassman
Posts:85
Joined:Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location:Addlestone, Surrey & Kerleit, Finistere

Postby Bassman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi Paul and welcome from another Paul :lol: :lol:
That does sound quite expensive for what they have done but I suppose that's main Stealers for you :(

As Dave said get the tensioners done and also the water pump and thermostat if no record of them having been done, I just got my W/P and thermostat replaced along with the boot light switch and a few other bits and bobs at Arun independant in Sussex for £200 :D
Paul
[b]1998 XK8 Antigua Blue[/b]

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

xk8's

Postby WULLIE4567 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi Paul
How did you get on with you tensioners? just reading your post from april.
Better using jag specialists, not main dealers they rip you off same as the government :evil:
cheers Wullie. 8) .
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

User avatar
Paul6348

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Location:Wisbech, Cambs
Contact:

Postby Paul6348 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 am

I have booked the work with Jagutek, in Ely, for next week. Seems like a good place to use. I will will post my findings after the work has been done.
My initial chat with Kevin over there (it is about the same distance as the main dealer in Peterborough for me) was very helpful and reassuring. He showed me some of the parts he has saved from previous work and explained a lot about the issues.
PG
(1997 XK8 Convertible; BRG with Teal interior)

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

Postby WULLIE4567 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi Paul
Just going through some of the older postings and noticed you havent replied yet :( . You were booking you XK into 'JAGUTEK' for them to replace your tensioners ETC, how did you get on with them and hows your XK going.

Cheers
Wullie 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

User avatar
Paul6348

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Location:Wisbech, Cambs
Contact:

Timing Chain Tensioner update

Postby Paul6348 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:33 am

The work was done on the engine and I was very pleased with the standard of work and help supplied by Jagutek, Ely. :D
During the work, I also discovered that the service work previously done by Marshalls Peterborough was unsatisfactory in that I was charged for an air filter but it did not appear that one had been changed for a good few thousand miles (I had done about one thousand since the Marshalls service) :evil: . In addition, Marshalls had not changed the belt pulleys when fitting a new belt so I had that done along with the water pump whilst it was convenient. The engine had second-generation tensioners and one was just beginning to crack. It is good to have the peace of mind that comes from having metal tensioners fitted. One very nice touch from Jagutek was that they took pictures of the engine showing the new tensioners fitted (with the reg plate showing in one photo). I can use this as evidence of the work being done should I ever need it.

I knew when I bought it that the car had a replacement engine at some point. Kevin at Jagutek was able to find out that the engine plate identifies it has having been built, we think, in 2003 but I have no information yet as to who, when or why it was replaced. Neither do I know how many miles the current engine has done - but it will obviously be a lot less than the 78k+ showing on the speedo! Any pointers as to how to chase down further info about the car and engine would be most welcome.

The car has been running well. We went on the JEC weekend trip to France - which was really enjoyable.

Recently, in hot weather, I have a computer error which reports Stability Control, ABS and Traction Control failure all at the same time - but this is always OK first thing in the morning when it is cooler! :?

My next job will be to replace the rear bumper mountings as the bumber droops a bit on the drivers side.
PG
(1997 XK8 Convertible; BRG with Teal interior)

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

Postby WULLIE4567 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Paul
Glad you got things sorted :) . Your computer error could just be a sensor or loose connection, better get it plugged in to get it checked out anyway.
The DVLA will supply you with a list of previous owners for your car, (small fee) then you could contact them to find out about your cars history. someone else may have a better way of doing it?? :roll:
Give us a shout when you are going to do the rear bumper I just done mine a few months ago, both brackets must be done at the same time to do the job properly anyway.

Cheers
Wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

Postby WULLIE4567 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Paul
Great pictures you entered into gallery :D , looked as if you all enjoyed yourselfs. Did the owner of new XK leave the hand brake off or was he/she just showing off that lovely car, 'I' would :wink: . great line up what a treat for the French. :P

Cheers
Wullie. 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi Paul, Nice pics of the French weekend. Glad you enjoyed it. Mike.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests