Hi all
I am new here having joined JEC just before taking delivery of my first ever Jaguar - a 2001 XK8 convertible. I'm really looking forward to this as it is my first real experience of SKI (spending kids' inheritance!) after a life time of "being sensible".
Anyway, I will be collecting the car in a couple of days from now, after the friendly dealer has replaced the tensioners, which he said he does automatically on all the XK's he sells.
Anyway, first things first - I want to buy a cover to keep it in the pristine condition it is now. My garage is open ended and when it blows (which it does here quite a lot) the nasty weather can creep inside. My question for anyone who has knowledge of such things is "what is the best type of cover to buy?".
I have looked at various websites and ads in the JEC mag but as so often happens, the more investigation one does the more confusing it becomes. I want a reasonably priced indoor cover which will see off the dust and damp without scratching the car's paintwork or my wallet.
Any recommendations?
Looking forward to spending time both here and, more importantly, in the Jag.
Alanb
The great cover up
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Alanb, welcome to the ranks.
I too, am spending my kids' inheritance -99 XK8 coupe -and loving it. (Eat you heart out Gordon....).
My carport, although 90% covered in, is subject to damp and draughts plus spiders overhead do the most yucky things..
I bought a lightweight silver Jaguar car cover (complete with 'ears' to go over the mirrors), on Ebay for about £45. It was as new in its Jaguar bag and works fine - however I put towels and/or a sheet over the top surfaces of the car first - this to ensure any damp gets absorbed and no minor marks are incurred from the cover.
I have a garage but there's insufficient room for the Cat when its stuffed up with a lathe / mill / drill etc. Just enough room for my titchy Ford Ka.
I'm impressed with your vendor, routinely changing tensioners. I'm just about to get mine done. I bought the parts from a Jaguar dealer and will get my local specialist (Julian Ferraro) to fit them. I intended to do it myself - but, hey - it's the kids' money - I'll use the time sampling wine.
Let's enjoy it - I understand one is dead for a long time....
Michael
I too, am spending my kids' inheritance -99 XK8 coupe -and loving it. (Eat you heart out Gordon....).
My carport, although 90% covered in, is subject to damp and draughts plus spiders overhead do the most yucky things..
I bought a lightweight silver Jaguar car cover (complete with 'ears' to go over the mirrors), on Ebay for about £45. It was as new in its Jaguar bag and works fine - however I put towels and/or a sheet over the top surfaces of the car first - this to ensure any damp gets absorbed and no minor marks are incurred from the cover.
I have a garage but there's insufficient room for the Cat when its stuffed up with a lathe / mill / drill etc. Just enough room for my titchy Ford Ka.
I'm impressed with your vendor, routinely changing tensioners. I'm just about to get mine done. I bought the parts from a Jaguar dealer and will get my local specialist (Julian Ferraro) to fit them. I intended to do it myself - but, hey - it's the kids' money - I'll use the time sampling wine.
Let's enjoy it - I understand one is dead for a long time....
Michael
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Hi Alan, welcome to the club and this forum
I hope you can sleep well these last few nights before picking her up
.
Excellent idea about the tensioners being replaced. I'd be interested to hear if the dealer is replacing only the secondary chain tensioners or the primary tensioners and possibly the chain as well.
Get ready for a permanent smile on your face

I hope you can sleep well these last few nights before picking her up
Excellent idea about the tensioners being replaced. I'd be interested to hear if the dealer is replacing only the secondary chain tensioners or the primary tensioners and possibly the chain as well.
Get ready for a permanent smile on your face
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Michael
Thanks for your comments. I'll keep an eye on e-bay - there's nothing like yours there at the moment.
I was quite impressed by the offer to do the tensioners - the dealer is Jag specialist Beechdown at Paignton. Juat waiting for the completion now so hope to be driving home with it in a couple of days.
Cheerrs for now
Alan
Thanks for your comments. I'll keep an eye on e-bay - there's nothing like yours there at the moment.
I was quite impressed by the offer to do the tensioners - the dealer is Jag specialist Beechdown at Paignton. Juat waiting for the completion now so hope to be driving home with it in a couple of days.
Cheerrs for now
Alan
timing chain etc
Karl
I now have the car and can tell you that Beechdown at Paignton have replaced all the timing chain tensioners as well as the water pump and other minor bits. All of this was done without my asking and they apparently do it as a matter of course on all cars they sell.
Cannot recommend them highly enough and if you come from outside the area to buy a car they will even put you up in a motel! For anyone interested they have another 3 XK8's at present as well as a good choice of other models - plug plug!
My car, by the way, is excellent and just as I expected. 2001 convertible with several extras from new and the mandatory fjsh and guaranteed mileage at under 30k.
Alan
I now have the car and can tell you that Beechdown at Paignton have replaced all the timing chain tensioners as well as the water pump and other minor bits. All of this was done without my asking and they apparently do it as a matter of course on all cars they sell.
Cannot recommend them highly enough and if you come from outside the area to buy a car they will even put you up in a motel! For anyone interested they have another 3 XK8's at present as well as a good choice of other models - plug plug!
My car, by the way, is excellent and just as I expected. 2001 convertible with several extras from new and the mandatory fjsh and guaranteed mileage at under 30k.
Alan
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
Re: timing chain etc
Karl
I now have the car and can tell you that Beechdown at Paignton have replaced all the timing chain tensioners as well as the water pump and other minor bits. All of this was done without my asking and they apparently do it as a matter of course on all cars they sell.
Cannot recommend them highly enough and if you come from outside the area to buy a car they will even put you up in a motel! For anyone interested they have another 3 XK8's at present as well as a good choice of other models - plug plug!
My car, by the way, is excellent and just as I expected. 2001 convertible with several extras from new and the mandatory fjsh and guaranteed mileage at under 30k.
Alan
Alan, I bet you feel like 'treble Xmas' at the moment. I bought mine a few months short of 3 years now and I never forget the feeling when I picked her up. Enjoy the ownership and may the XK give you many years of smiles - as it tends to do
I must say, you have hit on a great dealership in your choice of supplier.
I am very happy with mine (Guy Salmon of Coventry - previously JWR) but I don't think they would have gone quite as far as your have.
Well worth the recommendation.
I now have the car and can tell you that Beechdown at Paignton have replaced all the timing chain tensioners as well as the water pump and other minor bits. All of this was done without my asking and they apparently do it as a matter of course on all cars they sell.
Cannot recommend them highly enough and if you come from outside the area to buy a car they will even put you up in a motel! For anyone interested they have another 3 XK8's at present as well as a good choice of other models - plug plug!
My car, by the way, is excellent and just as I expected. 2001 convertible with several extras from new and the mandatory fjsh and guaranteed mileage at under 30k.
Alan
Alan, I bet you feel like 'treble Xmas' at the moment. I bought mine a few months short of 3 years now and I never forget the feeling when I picked her up. Enjoy the ownership and may the XK give you many years of smiles - as it tends to do
I must say, you have hit on a great dealership in your choice of supplier.
I am very happy with mine (Guy Salmon of Coventry - previously JWR) but I don't think they would have gone quite as far as your have.
Well worth the recommendation.
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
