The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:
The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Postby poprivet » Tue May 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Included a short piece on the XJ-S, being admired by professional footballers who were some of the select few who could afford the £10,500 price.

A longer section of British Leyland and especially the Rover SD1. I enjoyed seeing the Basil Fawlty part where he thrashes the living daylight out of his red Austin 1300.

An interesting series so far. On BBC iPlayer for those that missed it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... tain_7577/

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Postby poprivet » Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 am

I suppose this is what happens if you mix up both the Basil Fawlty program and the XJ-S program: :shock:


User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

Re: The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Postby dhdove » Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Nice Macro Pop :D

TonyS

User avatar
BigCatXJS

Moderator
Posts:744
Joined:Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am

Re: The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Postby BigCatXJS » Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Agreed - I don't know what has caused Auntie to show that series and a re-run of 'I love 197*', but I've really enjoyed it. I also clocked the yellow XJ-s footage.

User avatar
PaulRidley
Posts:37
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm
Location:Powys

Re: The 70s - BBC Episode 3

Postby PaulRidley » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm guessing the Beeb made a big deal of the SD1 in the programme as there is so much SD1 archive available on film from back in the day - BMIHT do a fantastic DVD of the SD1 films.

As for highlighting the Turmeric "S" reg at the NEC and claiming it as one of the very first I must admit I chocked on my biscuits as I restored the second oldest SD1 registered - a 1976 on the "P", the late A B Smiths ( he of Rover management ) car a couple of years ago.

Indeed, I even made a film or two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOLMfBXpZ0

Pah. BBC Researchers.. :evil:
Paul Ridley

FOR SALE...

LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests