Keys/Wallet

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:
Keys/Wallet

Postby poprivet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am

Applies to anyone, not just Jags.

First of all, make sure you have a fully working spare car key, especially modern ones with a chip. If you only have one key, get another one now - like today, don't put it off any longer.

A friend at work lost his car key. He only walked a short distance from the car park to the workshop, he noticed it was gone about an hour later. We all searched high and low for ages but it was nowhere to be found. We came to the conclusion that a member of the public picked it up in the car park and took it. Luckily, he had a spare at home and someone took him to collect it, an hours round trip but thank goodness he had a spare.

Some years ago I lost my wallet. Like many others, I used to keep it in my back pocket which is daft when you think about it. Getting cards stopped, driving licence replaced and losing money is a major inconvenience.

I replaced the wallet with a Pacsafe wallet which has a chain and kept it in a front pocket, the ring attaches to the wallet and the clip to a belt buckle though and didn't seem all that secure so I bought a Victorinox Multiclip to replace the Pacsafe chain. Victorinox is a top brand and like their knives it is well constructed, very secure and clips over the belt, it also has a seperate chain for keys.
Multiclip.jpg
My daily car is keyless, so the tag just lives in my pocket all day quite secure. When I use the XJS I make sure the key is clipped once the car is locked.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Keys/Wallet

Postby J44EAG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 am

Lost keys cause one to get a sweat on...if only because of the cost of replacement and often the huge hassle involved. The modern Tibby keys can cause quite a problem. Un-cut keys which then need cutting to fit the door and steering locks, then there is the programming of a new chip. Much easier for the guy doing it if you have a second key for him to crib. Otherwise I believe the lock man has to probe the car to grab the codes. That takes longer and costs escalate.

I really must replace the broken case on one of my keys. The bit where the key ring passes through it has worn through so the key is usually kept loose in my pocket. The times I loose the thing....

Running a car with just one key is a dangerous game. Loose that one and you can be well stuffed.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Keys/Wallet

Postby ng4xjs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:05 pm

For the later XJS keys. They differ slightly in length say for instance from the Ford equivalent and are near impossible to replace locally in the local branch of your favourite cobbler etc.

Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests