I'll start with this, its not car related, but is connected to where I work:
Have a go, sensible or not!
The 'Guess what it is' topic
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Pop,
As a clue, is there something due to be bolted on to the back of that round flywheel-type section? A gearbox or similar?
Paul
As a clue, is there something due to be bolted on to the back of that round flywheel-type section? A gearbox or similar?
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
It is part of an engine, more components are yet to be fitted.
Merchant Navy is very relevant but it isn't part of a ship.
Merchant Navy is very relevant but it isn't part of a ship.
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Dockside crane, probably container lift?
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
The answer:
It is loco 35005 "Merchant Navy Class" Canadian Pacific. The view is inside the frames looking to the front at the 18 x 24 inch centre cylinder (3 cylinder engine). Originally built at Eastleigh in 1941, it is having a £1.5 million overhaul by the Mid-Hants Railway in the Eastleigh works on the site where it was constructed.

Read a bit more about it here:
https://canpac.watercressline.co.uk/
It is loco 35005 "Merchant Navy Class" Canadian Pacific. The view is inside the frames looking to the front at the 18 x 24 inch centre cylinder (3 cylinder engine). Originally built at Eastleigh in 1941, it is having a £1.5 million overhaul by the Mid-Hants Railway in the Eastleigh works on the site where it was constructed.

Read a bit more about it here:
https://canpac.watercressline.co.uk/
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Here's another one to guess:
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Looks like a Bourdon tube from the inner workings of a pressure gauge. Great picture of the MN loco; at the Bluebell Railway we're hoping to get our related BoB (Battle of Britain) class loco, Sir Archibald Sinclair, back in action as soon as its boiler is rebuilt.
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Well done Brian, got it in one.
There is a follow up to this which will explain it in more detail which I will post elsewhere in a day or two.
Al
There is a follow up to this which will explain it in more detail which I will post elsewhere in a day or two.
Al
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
I sense a mui loco trend here.
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Why not make it a steam engine thread? I say this because of the interest and reaction to my fourteen month old model aircraft thread which to date has had over 19,000, yes, an incredible 19,000 viewings over that period!
I would certainly be very happy to see a puffa-chuff thread on the site. What isn`t there to like about Thomas the Tank Engine?!
Mike
I would certainly be very happy to see a puffa-chuff thread on the site. What isn`t there to like about Thomas the Tank Engine?!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
I doubt that the jobs I do on the railway would be of much interest. I'm a volunteer mechanic for the building/estates department which involves plumbing, drinking tea, fence and gate fabrication, drinking more tea and general repairs etc.
Sometimes it gets more interesting when an urgent job occours such a landslip, tree blowing into the track or one of the lads brings in biscuits to have with the tea.
There is an official blog which covers the department for those who are really bored:
https://preservation.watercressline.co. ... /buildings
One job I was really proud of was the overhaul of a 1908 dock crane.
Sometimes it gets more interesting when an urgent job occours such a landslip, tree blowing into the track or one of the lads brings in biscuits to have with the tea.
There is an official blog which covers the department for those who are really bored:
https://preservation.watercressline.co. ... /buildings
One job I was really proud of was the overhaul of a 1908 dock crane.
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Sounds like a fun job.
Do you have different brushes for different leaves on the line or the wrong type of snow?
Do you have different brushes for different leaves on the line or the wrong type of snow?
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Leaves and snow are normally dealt with by the Permanent Way gang who are qualified to use the broom, they rarely let anyone else use it and is kept locked away with the shovel.
They are a very professional and organised lot though!
They are a very professional and organised lot though!
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Continuing the steam theme, here is the 80 tonne, four post lift at Swanage, I wonder if I can use it to underseal the XJS?
Re: The 'Guess what it is' topic
Back on topic, what is it? well, I know it's a spirit level but I have no idea what it was used for so if anyone knows..
Under 3" long, riveted to a crescent steel piece with a horizontal groove. It was given to me by a chap clearing his fathers house so could be quite old. The photos show it balanced on a vice, that's not part of it!
Under 3" long, riveted to a crescent steel piece with a horizontal groove. It was given to me by a chap clearing his fathers house so could be quite old. The photos show it balanced on a vice, that's not part of it!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

